Author Topic: Canada marijuana legalization takes big step with federal report now complete  (Read 958 times)

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Analysts predict Canada could have $4.5 billion industry by 2021; marijuana task force wraps up extensive report that is expected to include recommendations on everything from age limits to medical marijuana, safety and home grows

By Alicia Wallace, The Cannabist Staff

Canada’s marijuana task force announced Wednesday that it has fulfilled its mission and soon will deliver a final report to the government outlining recommendations for the country’s legal cannabis framework.

The report is being translated and will be provided to federal ministers and the public by mid-December, once it is in both official languages of English and French, according to a statement released Wednesday by Anne McLellan, chair of the Task Force on Marijuana Legalization and Regulation.

RELATED: Canada’s biggest cannabis company makes $321M biz acquisition

“It has been an honour for us, along with the other members of the Task Force, to have had the opportunity to engage with Canadians across the country who generously shared their expertise and perspectives on how the government should approach the legalization and regulation of cannabis,” she said in the statement. “We are pleased to announce that the Task Force has completed our work.”

More on Canada’s move to legalize
Hot topic: Ottawa Public Health says the minimum age for buying legal marijuana should be 25

It’s still illegal, though: Marijuana tops $1 billion in Canada

Canada calling: New task force on pot will consult with legal U.S. states

Weed news and interviews: Get podcasts of The Cannabist Show.

Subscribe to our newsletter here.

Watch The Cannabist Show.

Peruse our Cannabist-themed merchandise (T’s, hats, hoodies) at Cannabist Shop.

The report — which is expected to include recommendations on a variety of topics such as age limits, medical marijuana, safety and home grows, according to CBC News — follows five months of research and consultations that included 30,000 responses to an online questionnaire, meetings with provincial and territorial governments, interviews with experts across a variety of fields, conversations with medical patients, and visits internationally to states such as Colorado and Washington.

Earlier this week, McLellan told the Globe and Mail that adapting to marijuana legalization will take a significant psychological shift by law enforcement, governments and residents:

Right now, production and possession of marijuana is illegal unless it has been authorized for medical purposes, but the government estimates the illegal marijuana industry’s size at $7 billion ($5.2 billion U.S.), annually.

Ottawa has committed to introducing legislation in the spring that will move marijuana “from a criminal regime, where this was an illegal substance with criminal sanctions – some of them very serious – to a legalized product in a regulated marketplace,” Ms. McLellan said. It’s important to move slowly, and deliberately, in implementation, she added.

“Most Canadians think it’s time to move away from the system we have. But they are less clear about words like ‘decriminalization’ and ‘legalization.'”

As Canada marches closer to legalizing marijuana, the country could have a $4.5 billion industry on its hands by 2021, financial analysts project.

Canaccord Genuity analysts Matt Bottomley and Neil Maruoka published a note this week estimating that by 2021, Canada will have 3.8 million legal recreational marijuana users and a demand for 575,000 kilograms, or roughly 1.27 million pounds, of recreational and medical marijuana, according to a Bloomberg report.

If Canada legalizes in 2017 and sales begin in 2018, the initial demand is estimated to be about 400,000 kilograms, or 882,000 pounds, the analysts said.

Canaccord’s Bottomley and Maruoka did not respond Wednesday to a request from The Cannabist for further comment.

Canada is poised to become the second country in the world to legalize marijuana, behind Uruguay, which legalized in 2013. Colorado was the first locale to allow legal sales of recreational marijuana, starting in 2014.

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
I read that Uruguay is not quite what we'd hope, strange regulations I think designed to discourage tourism and export...

So fucking ice cold Canada it is then?  Dual citizenship and one can always return theoretically.  Let's buy a farm and call it the Galaxy Lounge Ranch and bring our families , file to start the business -----

And never mention politics LOL!!!

I know many of you are psychos that would kill me in my sleep, but I still dream of escape with like minded individuals, start a freaking community if we can't drop into one... Hippy, sorry you punk rockers hahaha Hey I love Fugazi too!

Smallpox blankets, five corporations, much less Styrofoam oh man I'ma Spotify some Fugazi (they may not release their music to Spotify knowing my luck and their aesthetic).  Off track there... But I do need to revisit Fugazi!
And if you see your mom this weekend, tell her I said
Satan Satan Satan Satan

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
Will Canada have better laws than Cali?  Kratom... nothing to sniff at there but we could have good news soonish.

Hell I can't afford California, maybe what, Victorville lol?  But sheeee-it, if pots legal i won't need much else...

Surely California will save us, communes for medical refugees, rescue me Cali please, Canada, help I'm going maximum mental here  :knockedout:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:17:44 AM by avoca »
Satan Satan Satan Satan

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Good on Canada, but what's with the 25 year old restriction recommendation? I've always felt that you are either an adult or you're not. Once one hits the agreed to age, then one should have full access as an adult.

And Canada is indeed too effin cold. I've hired some folks from Canada before, and they seemed willing to pay me if I would give them a job and get them out of there, LOL. I'll stick to trying to make things right in the good ole USA. MJ legalization is on a roll, and there's more to come. Of course, I've been burning over 30 years regardless of legality. Would be nice to grow my own again if we get there, though. :weedspin

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
Yes, the cold, I think most any Canadian will admit they go stir crazy in the cold!  True so true

More n more I want to be a public face of patient rights to my employer.  Really push for MMJ being allowed in workplace. But I'm durty so duhrty, I'm not so sure I should be that face considering any PI could totally expose me .... Fuck I want to fight, fuck fuck
Satan Satan Satan Satan

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
Well being in AZ got down to like 33 degrees last night. I can't see me moving to Canada. I will stay in the southwest , can't imagine
being in Canada freezing , just to toke weed legally!

:goodpost :goodpost :weedspin :weedspin

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
Yeah, that would have to be some miraculous strains eh, to move to the ice for pot.  But also kratom is legal, things like Ibogaine clinics, universal healthcare etc.
When surveyed, people in Canada enjoy their lives more so than almost anywhere else. It's considered the best place in the world to live as of late.

But still, the damn ice!!!!

Satan Satan Satan Satan

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
I read that Uruguay is not quite what we'd hope, strange regulations I think designed to discourage tourism and export...

So fucking ice cold Canada it is then?  Dual citizenship and one can always return theoretically.  Let's buy a farm and call it the Galaxy Lounge Ranch and bring our families , file to start the business -----

And never mention politics LOL!!!

I know many of you are psychos that would kill me in my sleep, but I still dream of escape with like minded individuals, start a freaking community if we can't drop into one... Hippy, sorry you punk rockers hahaha Hey I love Fugazi too!

Smallpox blankets, five corporations, much less Styrofoam oh man I'ma Spotify some Fugazi (they may not release their music to Spotify knowing my luck and their aesthetic).  Off track there... But I do need to revisit Fugazi!

Fuck Canada for a Planet X Commune. We would go to Oregon if we go anywhere!

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
I am so down for the Pacific Northwest (freakushima aside)
Satan Satan Satan Satan

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
I am so down for the Pacific Northwest (freakushima aside)

I can fund myself going but not much more. Lets start look for land

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
 :goodpost

See, now that's the shit right there.  Thinking herbal farm perhaps, I know u have the green thumb. The only issue is money, for me to go to Mexico id be cutting expenses in half.

the amount of income is not an issue for me as long as I have cannabinoid.  My nettles cost $30/month , that's about all I need and they grow wild anyway. My car is 13years old and I last bought new clothing like 2 years ago?... Very simple man here.

South, costs a lot less, dual citizenship, kratom trees, sunny...  Either way, options
Satan Satan Satan Satan

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!

Just hearing this, this sounds like my brain on Oregon  :broccoli

As much as I dislike Caucasian Rastafarians in general, this.... This...

Lifetimes, in a carbon place, is that what he says?  Oooooo I like it.
Satan Satan Satan Satan

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Canada way too cold....Oregon sounds much better.

Went out the back of Halifax
All the way to Virginia, Fairfax
It wasn't weird enough
So I went west to Oregon

All I, All I wonder
While I run
Is what's, is what's
Next on my agenda
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
Clutch, very cool takes me back

He and I've been tossing escape around to various friends and family. One wealthier friend got us excited about a hotel in FL but he was hot air ultimately.  Another will sell his parent's house soon.  Another couple has condo in Puerto Vallarta and can help us there...

Not many want to fade out alone but so many of us do. I don't want to Be those they find a week later half ate by their pets.  Rot around strangers in a nursing home....

I have lots of family and options. And I feel this forum is part of that option pool.

You know, some sunset golden and some put a shotgun in their mouths.  Lol, choices hahaha

Trying to cheerlead here, let's consider something magical
Satan Satan Satan Satan

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX

As much as I dislike Caucasian Rastafarians in general, this.... This...

Must resist urge to point out the obvious.... :biggrin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal