Author Topic: Pennsylvania NAACP endorses Legalizing Marijuana  (Read 789 times)

Subgenius

• TGL Veterans
  • TGL Master
Pennsylvania NAACP endorses Legalizing Marijuana
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »

Last week, the Pennsylvania NAACP endorsed a pending marijuana legalization bill. And on the 4th of July, the civil rights group stepped up that support, holding a press conference to gain traction for the legislation.

The bill, Senate Bill 528, is sponsored by Sen. Daylin Leach (D-Montgomery County), and is currently bottled up in the Senate Law and Justice Committee. It would legalize, tax, and regulate the possession of small amounts of pot, as well as its commerce.

"I am honored that the NAACP has spoken out in favor of my legislation to legalize, regulate and tax marijuana in Pennsylvania," Leach said at the press conference. "As noted in recent reports, the war on drugs is racially-biased, inefficient and ineffective; and this modern day prohibition of a product less harmful than alcohol and tobacco needs to end. We can better use the resources we’re spending to fight this unnecessary war, and we can better spend our time and energy cracking down on substances that are actually harmful."

The state NAACP came on board in the wake of the release of a report recently conducted by the ACLU that showed that black Americans are more than three times more likely to be arrested on marijuana charges than white Americans. In the Keystone State, the report found, blacks are 5.2 times more likely to be busted for pot than whites.

"As a representative of the NAACP and a retired Deputy Chief of Police with more than 31 years of service with the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) Police Department, it is time Pennsylvania respond to this injustice in a rational and sensible way," said Harvey Crudup, president of the NAACP's Cheltenham Area Branch. "Millions of dollars per year in additional revenues can be generated to build more schools instead of prisons. These tax dollars can also subsidize drug treatment, job training and diversion programs to reduce racial disparities in Pennsylvania’s criminal justice system as well as transportation projects throughout the Commonwealth."

In addition to Leach and Crudup, other speakers at the press conference included Neill Franklin, executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, and David Scott, chair of the legal redress committee for the Cheltenham Area Branch.

- Article originally from Stop the Drug War, used with permission.

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
Re: Pennsylvania NAACP endorses Legalizing Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
naacp better keep fighting this. I am a white male and I witness the race issue associated with cannabis.the local law enforcement where I live discriminate and automaticly search a black mans car when pulled over around here I see this all the fucking time  in Pennsylvania its fucked up
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:50:02 PM by mattynugs »

Swishahouse6

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
Good read thanks for the post.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
naacp better keep fighting this. I am a white male and I witness the race issue associated with cannabis.the local law enforcement where I live discriminate and automaticly search a black mans car when pulled over around here I see this all the fucking time  in Pennsylvania its fucked up
:postwhore:

Dude wake up, the cops ain't gonna stop their war on black folks
  Around here, same thing but dif racial profiling, cause here they h8 mexicans.
I'm a white male too, but I have been pulled over many many times due
to the vehicle I drove (older pre-1980 truck) with the popo thinkng I might be
busy working as a coyote, smuggling illegals across the border,which is 4 hours
away from here :cigar

• TGL Artisan
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Legalize POT !
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
go penn state ! and then on to ohio state !

R

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
go penn state ! and then on to ohio state !
um...

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:42:05 AM »
:postwhore:

Dude wake up, the cops ain't gonna stop their war on black folks
  Around here, same thing but dif racial profiling, cause here they h8 mexicans.
I'm a white male too, but I have been pulled over many many times due
to the vehicle I drove (older pre-1980 truck) with the popo thinkng I might be
busy working as a coyote, smuggling illegals across the border,which is 4 hours
away from here :cigar
true racial profiling will never stop butttt NAACP is a powerful organization. They will make this bill a lot easier to pass as long as they try hard. The only problem Pennsylvania has is faggot aas Tom Corbett and he isn't to favored right now. He definitely isn't going to see another term and thats for sure

R

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:42 AM »
true racial profiling will never stop butttt NAACP is a powerful organization. They will make this bill a lot easier to pass as long as they try hard. The only problem Pennsylvania has is faggot aas Tom Corbett and he isn't to favored right now. He definitely isn't going to see another term and thats for sure

That's what people thought about Dubya and Obummer too, and we had to deal with 8 years of each of them.  Voters are not smart, people don't vote for the good of the country, they vote for whoever has the most commercials on TV.

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »

That's what people thought about Dubya and Obummer too, and we had to deal with 8 years of each of them.  Voters are not smart, people don't vote for the good of the country, they vote for whoever has the most commercials on TV.

In Obama's case, his second term election was like picking between a Shit Sammich and a Shit Casserole w/baby gravy. Both are shit, any way you look at it..... but one's killing babies, too ;P

They set that up on purpose to keep him in office, I swear.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

R

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
Of course the Obummer camp wanted to go up against Romney--Romney was even easier to beat than Santorum, and look how close he came to winning--Romney lost by like 3% of the people who voted and spent 1/3 of the campaign money!  The point is if someone is doing a crappy job, is a lying piece of shit and fundamentally a worthless human, someone who defines the term "a waste of otherwise good oxygen", then that person needs to go for whatever takes his place.  The same reason every member of congress should have been voted out of office.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:06:41 AM by Ngls »

Subgenius

• TGL Veterans
  • TGL Master
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

"Give me liberty,or give me death"

Patrick Henry

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:33 AM »

It's a nice quote, but unfortunately these days the order is a bit different
  Now the state & federal gov't will need to imprision you first, take all your valuable belongings second
then you'll be interred in a nice fed or not so nice state prison. The death part will be a slap in the face too,
cause this gov't wants you alive, to serve as an example to the rest.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:55:48 AM by jones »

Subgenius

• TGL Veterans
  • TGL Master
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »

GET UP, STAND UP! STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!

Bob Marley

the hellion

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »

It's a nice quote, but unfortunately these days the order is a bit different
  Now the state & federal gov't will need to imprision you first, take all your valuable belongings second
then you'll be interred in a nice fed or not so nice state prison. The death part will be a slap in the face too,
cause this gov't wants you alive, to serve as an example to the rest.

Now that's a quote for the ages!!
Abduction means the end for me, a million years of misery...

Subgenius

• TGL Veterans
  • TGL Master
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:35:13 AM »

Legalize it, don't criticize it!!!!! :stoned :stoned

Peter Tosh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal