Author Topic: Synthetic drug found in nature  (Read 1885 times)

dub

• TGL Master
Synthetic drug found in nature
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:56 PM »
Synthetic drug found in nature

In another example of nature beating chemists, the African plant Nauclea latifolia has been found to be a natural source of the synthetic opioid tramadol. First marketed in 1977, tramadol is frequently used to relieve moderate to moderately-severe pain. While other synthetic drugs have later been found in nature, this is the first instance where the discovery involves clinically viable concentrations.

Colloquially known as the ‘African peach’ or ‘pin cushion tree’, N. latifolia is a flowering, sub-Saharan evergreen that grows widely across Central and West Africa and is used by local populations to treat a wide variety of ailments – including epilepsy, malaria, general pain and many infectious diseases.

To uncover the source of the plant’s reported pain killing effect, the researchers fractioned methanolic extracts of the plant by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). The resulting fractions were then tested in an assay using live mice, revealing the fraction with the greatest analgesic properties.

‘Our results indicate that high amounts of the analgesic drug, tramadol, can be obtained through a simple extraction procedure from Nauclea latifolia found in Cameroon or sub-Saharan areas,’ says Michel De Waard, a neuroscientist at the Université Joseph Fourier. De Waard adds that the root of the plant could be viably used as a source of tramadol because of the significantly high concentrations of the drug – over 1% of the original dry content.

The team used NMR and HRM spectroscopy, as well as x-ray crystallography, to determine the structure and confirm it as tramadol. Further spectroscopic and isotope ratio analyses confirmed that the compound extracted was indeed natural in origin, and not a by-product of cross-contamination. This unexpected discovery supports the traditional uses of N. latifolia roots in the treatment of pain; however, although other parts of the plant are also used in traditional remedies, the team found no analgesic compounds in the rest of the plant.

While it is probably too early to speculate on the widespread cultivation of N. latifolia to make tramadol, the team have developed a simplified process for extracting the drug and are hopeful this might be of benefit to local communities. De Waard explains that while synthetic tramadol is not a costly drug in most developing countries, it is still expensive for many African citizens.

‘The work described has been performed in a rigorous manner, and the highly experienced investigative team has taken great pains to show that tramadol is actually a natural product produced by its plant of origin, Nauclea latiolia,’ says Douglas Kinghorn, a medicinal chemist from the Ohio State University, who did not take part in this study. ‘This report…shows that the subject of ethnopharmacology still has much to offer biomedical research in terms of drug discovery.’

While the study focussed exclusively on N. latifolia from Cameroon, several other species of Nauclea also grow across Africa and the team are now investigating if they also make tramadol, as well as just how the plant makes the drug.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2013/09/african-plant-natural-source-tramadol

"Your as mighty as the flower that grows the stones away"

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
Re: Synthetic drug found in nature
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
This is very interesting. especially considering some of the gear my cat already has.  :popcorn:
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

the hellion

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
Interesting. Tramadol has been a favorite of mine for some time... works better for me than hydrocodone or oxycodone...
Abduction means the end for me, a million years of misery...

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
interesting..i need new pain relief :dance

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:35:30 PM by AciD »
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

the hellion

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
I smoke cigarettes and never had any negative effects. And I've taken rather large doses myself. Just goes to show your mileage may and will vary...
Abduction means the end for me, a million years of misery...

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
I tell ya all that I can't wait to see popo try & arrest this plant for illegally manufacturing
by the law of G-d, over mans wimpy law against making drugs!

Go Get That Plant-- Boys in Blue & cuff it good, we'll need it in the line-up
later on to get a positive ID on it :broccoli And You might look like broccoli but you're green So you R coming
with us

http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/video/paramilitary-cops-bust-organic-farm-confiscate-sunflowers/#

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
tramadol is a very interesting med for sure. One of the best I've found for my migraines. Be careful with it though. I tend to take huge amounts but I'm lucky. I never have negative effects. But most people who take the amounts I do have seizures. Be very careful with this med, seizure potential is high for some people. One odd note. Pretty much all the reports I've read of people having seizures from tramadol are always precipitated by having a cigarette. Nicotine seems to trigger the seizures possibly, at least in some people.

yipes I found a bunch of this before i read that..i have huge seizures due to head shrapnel..

should I stop taking it?no siezures yet..but restless nights

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
I tried Tramadol but it only worked a couple of times for my pain. Then I noticed the pkg circular
called Tramadol "synthetic percoset" and I figured that I would prefer to just take real percoset
and I was right. I can't wait for the scientific community to "discover" that willow bark contains
the same active ingrediant as aspirin

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:27:29 AM »
 :goodpost

I use white willow bark when I get stress chest pains..it relaxes me..nature rocks..

BLACK Cohosh Kicks the hell outta stress..

House

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:52 AM »
Nature can also be found in synthetic drugs, if you wanna get philosophical..

Also, WHOA, that's awesome

"Yeah, I've seen some weird shit"

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 08:38:25 AM »
Definitely, House.

Everything is nature.
Even if we synthesize or 'create' it.

It's still made of nature, and therefore natural. :D

We never really create or destroy anything... just change it.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

SmxkinSkxlls

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Shaman
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
Definitely, House.

Everything is nature.

Well put. I think it's funny how we tend to see ourselves separate from nature.
"One must be pure to remember. Pure at all levels."

skush

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
Definitely, House.

Everything is nature.

nice logic
 :goodpost

Well put. I think it's funny how we tend to see ourselves separate from nature.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:01:41 AM by synester »
“Life lived in the absence of the psychedelic experience that primordial shamanism is based on is life trivialized, life denied, life enslaved to the ego."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal