Author Topic: Colorado Pot Shops Rake in More Than $1M Statewide  (Read 608 times)

SwishaHouse6

Colorado Pot Shops Rake in More Than $1M Statewide
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »
DENVER - Pot shops did record sales compared to the "medical marijuana days" on Wednesday when recreational marijuana opened. Pot shop owners across Colorado believe they collectively made more than $1 million statewide.

Supporters, critics and other states are waiting to see what will happen in Colorado on day two and beyond. In Perth, Australia, headlines say "Move Over Amsterdam."

Long lines and blustery winter weather greeted Colorado marijuana shoppers testing the nation's first legal recreational pot shops Wednesday.

It was hard to tell from talking to the shoppers, however, that they had waited hours in snow and frigid wind.

"It's a huge deal for me," said Andre Barr, a 34-year-old deliveryman who drove from Niles, Mich., to be part of the legal weed experiment. "This wait is nothing."

The world was watching as Colorado unveiled the modern world's first fully legal marijuana industry - no doctor's note required (as in 18 states and Washington, D.C.) and no unregulated production of the drug (as in the Netherlands). Uruguay has fully legalized pot but hasn't yet set up its system.

Colorado had 24 shops open Wednesday, most of them in Denver, and aside from long lines and sporadic reports of shoppers cited for smoking pot in public, there were few problems.

"Everything's gone pretty smoothly," said Barbara Brohl, Colorado's top marijuana regulator as head of the Department of Revenue.

It may seem like everyone was excited for the legalization, but there were vociferous critics too. It's a good reminder that 35 percent of Colorado voted against Amendment 64.

Colorado residents must be 21 or older to buy marijuana in Colorado. But just like alcohol, there's a good chance people underage might find a way to get their hands on the drug.

State regulators were out on Wednesday, making sure no one under 21 was able to buy marijuana. The pot shop 9NEWS went to on Wednesday was very diligent about checking everyone's ID.

9NEWS spoke with one doctor from Denver Health who treats kids with substance abuse issues. He says addiction numbers have gone up since Colorado approved medical marijuana. While there are no long-term studies on the effects of pot on adults, there has been research done on kids.

The doctor 9NEWS spoke with says marijuana can do some real damage to young people who are still growing.

Marijuana skeptics, of course, watched in alarm. They warned that the celebratory vibe in Colorado masked dangerous consequences. Wider marijuana availability, they say, would lead to greater illegal use by youth, and possibly more traffic accidents and addiction problems.

"It's not just a benign recreational drug that we don't have to worry about," said Dr. Paula Riggs, head of the Division of Substance Dependence at the University of Colorado-Denver medical campus.

Colorado has hundreds of pending applications for recreational pot retailers, growers and processors. So it's too soon to say how prices would change more people enter the business, increasing supply and competition.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/371498/339/Pot-sales-exceed-1-million-on-first-day

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Re: Colorado Pot Shops Rake in More Than $1M Statewide
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
So where are all these vendors gonna legally restock from if they are "All Out"?

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
So where are all these vendors gonna legally restock from if they are "All Out"?

yeah??
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

iBaked

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Rooster in my rari
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »

yeah??

Maybe they will start sourcing from Cali MMJ manufacturers. Eh? That legal maybe?
No idea how they would get it there, but that's another problem.

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor - 'Merika

JustSayin

• TGL Kratomologist
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • I get knocked down, but I get up again!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
A GOOD problem. Maybe one that finally stops the govt from trying to put their fingers in a dyke when the flood is coming. I see some major inventory issues that won't be easily dissuaded as demand increases dramatically. And it will fuckers it will BWAHAHA

The feds look like short-sighted dumbasses at this point. But they suspected and that's why they tried to stem the tide.
Life is The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed

SwishaHouse6

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »
random...but look at the reply time to your first post Jones..

HAHA good eye  :getstones

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
I wonder if the DEA will continue its raids on MMJ in other states? This will cause riots at this point imo in some areas.

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
At this point, the DEA assertion that MJ has no legitimate medical use is pretty well indefensible.  Only a matter of time, I hope.  :getstones

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
I want them to raid again. Just one more time.  8)

iBaked

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Rooster in my rari
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:46 PM »

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor - 'Merika

JustSayin

• TGL Kratomologist
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • I get knocked down, but I get up again!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
Maybe this is why all the odd govt agencies got weapons and riot shit about a year ago or so,  :weed-sign:
Life is The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
Maybe this is why all the odd govt agencies got weapons and riot shit about a year ago or so,  :weed-sign:

Way I see it that only happened cause few folks in the army will shoot other americans

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
the government can't stop the momentum now.. :horns up

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
They would make 10 million in a week of they legalized crack in my city. Lol you know its bad when dmx plays shows here. We must got some good rocks lol

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
At this point, the DEA assertion that MJ has no legitimate medical use is pretty well indefensible.  Only a matter of time, I hope.  :getstones

It works as well as many other things,
  Turns out that forgetting the pain is
better than taking bunches of opiates

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal