Author Topic: Artemisia absinthium (wormwood)  (Read 1981 times)

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
Artemisia absinthium (wormwood)
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
I have to say, wormwood is the best all natty smoke I've ever had (besides LHS's X-gen). I bought 2 ounces of it and made an extract using isopropyl alcohol. After the alcohol was evaporated I scraped up a couple very large rez balls to smoke.
The smoke has a very bitter taste and it's one of the only plants that I've smoked that actually tastes bitter. I noticed that even when I smoked the regular base herb.
Anyways, I got a very nice stone that felt on par with MJ and it lasted 30 minutes when smoked and an 1.5 hours when prepared as a tea.

Has anyone else had experience with this herb? I'm not talking LHS' wormwood buds either lol (just all natty wormwood)

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Artemisia absinthium (wormwood)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
Tried this from a certain disreputable vendor many years ago.  No effects, but I did like the smoke, and always thought it would make a good blend base.

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
I didn't get much from smoking the base herb. The best way to do it is to make an extract and smoke that. Even when I made the extract it took a decent amount to feel much.

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
Theoretically, that's thujone you're feeling in the extract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

R

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
I have to agree.  Thujone oils are available as extracts or essential oils from wormwood, mugwort, regular sage and even whitecedar.  In fact, you can get any of these essential oils and put a drop on any smoking base--the effects are noticable after a hit or two.  Overall, the effects are a little buzzy sensation, with some mild dissociation.  A gentle buzz. 

There is some potential for liver stress with heavy doses so only a drop or two at a time is good. 

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
I have to agree.  Thujone oils are available as extracts or essential oils from wormwood, mugwort, regular sage and even whitecedar.  In fact, you can get any of these essential oils and put a drop on any smoking base--the effects are noticable after a hit or two.  Overall, the effects are a little buzzy sensation, with some mild dissociation.  A gentle buzz. 

There is some potential for liver stress with heavy doses so only a drop or two at a time is good.

I have heard about the liver stress before when I researched thujone. I probably smoked too much of it (it was a large ball of goo) but I only did that once or twice.
It is much more effective than any natty I've ever smoked before which is weird. You'd think one vendor would have the bright idea to use thujone in their natty blends.

R

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
There are some interesting accounts of thujone on Erowid, via mugwort, wormwood and sage. 

R

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
Ngls should I mess with the extract on my blend or my magic in the ww?
A little bit probably won't hurt anyone.  Go get some Artemisa vulgaris essential oil on Ebay--5$?.  Put some neutral base material on your pipe. add a drop of the essential oil and smoke it.  The oil is flammable to some extent so no need to use high heat.  Alternately, it vapes well. 

You probably wont feel like using it all the time because it isn't the MJ feel you are used to, just some buzzing, some tingles, some goosebumps kind of feelings.  Tolerance isnt really a huge issue but as it has been said, it can stress your liver so don't make a daily habit of it.  Then again, it is not a huge deal if you did but you probaby wont develop a habit for thujone when so many other things work better toward what you are looking for.  If you want to grow it yourself it is common in regular culinary sage, mugwort and wormwood.

If you are completely dry and want a buzz of sorts, and it is summer, you can smoke a few sage flowers if you see them growing.  No need to dry them out, just apply heat and vaporize them in your pipe.  You will feel something at least, and it is real--see Erowid trip reports on sage.  Salvia officinalis (the table herb) is a very different plant than the Salvia divinorum (the salvia of psychelic legend) so no need to worry about that.

A thujone-containing oil is a good thing to have in your stashbox and it is perfectly legal.  The usual caveats apply, don't drive or operate machinery while using, same as alcohol, blendage, MJ or whatever.  A lot of blends had wormwood or mugwort ingredients and a couple added thujone to blends.  If you are using mugwort or wormwood essential oil it might add a pleasnt fragarence to a blend, but sage oil or whitecedar oil would be pungent as these oils also contain terpenes and camphors--bad ingredients in smoking blends, IMHO.  OK, I will qualify that--some terpenes, like limonene are citrus smells and those are ok (recall Burnman organic orange TKO?), but not all terpenes smell as good.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:27:04 AM by Ngls »

R

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
Try wormwood or mugwort oil as a flavoring.  All I can say is try it.

-digi

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
i see wormwood and my mind flashes back to one of the original ingrediants of four lokos. lol.

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
i see wormwood and my mind flashes back to one of the original ingrediants of four lokos. lol.
there was wormwood in 4loco?? damn that must have been one awesome concoction! I had one before but all it has was alcohol and caffeine in it.
I definitely want to try making absinth someday though. That sounds like fun, has anyone tried that before?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal