Author Topic: New Study: States with Legal Medical Marijuana See Reduced Suicide Rate....  (Read 351 times)

SwishaHouse6

New Study: States with Legal Medical Marijuana See Reduced Suicide Rate Among Young Men

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/new-study-states-legal-medical-marijuana-see-reduced-suicide-rate-among-young-men

February 5, 2014 

A new study has uncovered a strong correlation between reduced instances of suicide among young men and the legalization of marijuana, lending more credence to the hypothesis that marijuana can be used to cope with stressful life events. 

Researchers used suicide data from the National Vital Statistics System's Mortality Detail Files between 1990-2007, and examined the association between medical marijuana legalization and suicides per 100,000 population. Overall, legalization was associated with a 10.8% reduction in suicide rate of men aged 20 through 29 years and 30 years, respectively. The study couldn't accurately gauge legalization's affects on women's likelihood of committing suicide.

Daniel Reese, a co-author of the study, explained to  The Huffington Post that "legalization may reduce suicide among females, but we couldn't find conclusive evidence one way or the other. Females could respond to marijuana differently than males...it's even possible they respond to legalization differently than males." 

Reese also told  The Huffington Post that researchers "couldn't distinguish between alcohol or marijuana use in the study," but noted that  a 2013 study he also co-authored revealed a link between medical marijuana use and reduction of alcohol use among young adults. 

According to the Marijuana Policy Project, 20 states and Washington DC provide legal protection for seriously ill patients whose doctors recommend medical use of marijuana. As of January 27, nine states have pending legislation to legalize medical marijuana.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
This is good news, now trying to stop legalization is akin to agreeing with suicide!

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
You know ACID is right, Planetx'rs are going to have their own country!

Think about it, if all of us, used our money, whatever money we have
we could buy a freaking island, and live the way we want to!

you know I know I am an old dude here, But when I graduated in 1988
there were no GANG shootings, we had MJ, LSD, meth wasn't really an issue!

BACK IN THE DAY!

spicer

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
This is good news, now trying to stop legalization is akin to agreeing with suicide!
I like the way you think  :toke:

JustSayin

• TGL Kratomologist
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • I get knocked down, but I get up again!
I graduated before 88.  In the 80's Coke was the rising star, then shortly after crack, and heroin to some aspect. Seems ole H is making a big comeback, as all the peeps that got addicted by the quacks at "Pain Clinics" need to up the ante since the pills either don't work or they are suddenly deprived of it. And the sizzurp crap... also a bad idea.

Big Pharmacy is to blame for both this and the fucked up way the medical profession has to be run to make any money. Doctors don't have much choice which is sad. One huge reason I didn't go to Medical school when I considered it. Law school just as bad... attorneys in general suck  in my experience. Greed and corruption, not surprised many become politicians, it is easier money.

:bus:
Life is The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed

mrwiggles

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
NJ and FL alone are a huge reason why we have so many pill heads. We need to change that asap. I have seen enough friends die from blues.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
NJ and FL alone are a huge reason why we have so many pill heads. We need to change that asap. I have seen enough friends die from blues.

I agree, we should def re-open opium dens asap

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal