Author Topic: New York Could Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Week  (Read 963 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
New York Could Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Week
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
A bill to legalize medical marijuana in New York state cleared what may have been its final obstacle Thursday.

Sen. Diane Savino (D) said at a press conference in Albany Thursday that the Compassionate Care Act -- which would legalize medicinal use of the drug in New York -- has been moved from the Senate Finance Committee to the Rules Committee. Earlier this week, Finance Committee Chairman Sen. John DeFrancisco (R) seemingly threatened to prevent the bill from coming to a vote.

Moving legislation to the Rules Committee happens routinely in Albany near the end of a legislative session in order to bring a bill to a full vote, and advocates say they have more than enough "yes" votes for the CCA to pass. The bill has already passed the New York State Assembly.

The legislation would make New York the 23rd state in the country to legalize the drug for medical use.

The news comes just days after Gov. Andrew Cuomo expressed support for the CCA for the first time. Cuomo said he would sign a bill that "makes sense."

At the press conference, Savino said that she and Assemblyman Richard Gottfried-- the bill's sponsor in the Assembly-- are now in negotiations with the governor's office over the CCA.

"It's in three-way negotiations with the governor's office, and we will have a final product in time for the end of this legislative session," she told reporters. The legislative session ends on Friday, June 19.

According to Savino, Cuomo's office didn't have any major concerns regarding the CCA. Current negotiations are related to finer details in the legislation, such as language involving training protocols for doctors and measures to prevent medical marijuana from being diverted to the black market, she said.

"It's about making sure we're dotting the I's and crossing the T's," Savino said.

In another discussion with reporters this week, Savino called the CCA the "tightest, most regulated piece of legislation that will affect the medical marijuana industry in this country." She said she has 40 "yes" votes in the state Senate, more than enough for the measure to pass.

A poll earlier this year found that a supermajority of New York residents -- nearly 90 percent -- support legalized medical marijuana.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/new-york-marijuana_n_5488855.html
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
Re: New York Could Legalize Medical Marijuana Next Week
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
I might move to rhode island or south Carolina but damn now I'm thinking about nyc. I do know 2 Dominicains manhattan that I met in 06-07 who were mad cool with me. They use get haze and sour diesel out of a warehouse out there cheap as fuck.  I'd buy a single gr for 5 bucks and shit was a crazy head high.

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
lets all go in on a Flat ...something close to a dunkin doughnuts..

the mail lady just brought me more lightbulbs from KU

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »

cfls? I got a bunch of them actually used them for growing and they work really good if you have a lot of them

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
I think that part to "keep medical marijuana from being diverted to the black market"  is really funny,
Don't these stupid politicians understand that medical marijuana will cost at least Twice as much as the
stuff the black market sells? The black market isn't going anywhere cause the legal weed will be taxed at 25%
At Least! The black market will likely see their first price raises in Years!

I find it funny how politicians will try to keep some info secret, as part of the National Security, then the
stupid a-holes, not understanding how the real world actually works, get their plans all screwed up, in the end.

Screw greedy, sell-out politicians
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:55:06 PM by jones »

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Well, at least they're finally considering TRYING something when for a long time, if I recall correctly, they were all massively opposed to this. Personally, I think NY could make much more money to use for improving the state by legalizing and regulating alongside with medical. There are probably lots of people who legitimately need cannabis medicinally in NY, though, so this could be a victory if it ever comes to fruition.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
Well, at least they're finally considering TRYING something when for a long time, if I recall correctly, they were all massively opposed to this. Personally, I think NY could make much more money to use for improving the state by legalizing and regulating alongside with medical. There are probably lots of people who legitimately need cannabis medicinally in NY, though, so this could be a victory if it ever comes to fruition.

I'm not shooting the legality idea down, I love that part. I'm just saying the black market will be just as busy after the legal weed
choo choo train begins to run across the country, as they are currently. We, the people will finally, maybe get to win one, is all

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 12:19:21 AM »
Medical marijuana was recently "legalized" here in Minnesota too. By legalized I mean legal to use in pill and vapor forms (we still can't smoke bud straight up). It's looking like medical MJ will be legal everywhere soon

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »

cfls? I got a bunch of them actually used them for growing and they work really good if you have a lot of them

yes it is the spiral kind..awesome tip, thanks matty!

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »

yes it is the spiral kind..awesome tip, thanks matty!
good thing about them is you can put them pretty close to a plant without any burning. Mine seemed to like the cfls. I had a total of 200 watts I believe so I wasusing a lot of them

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Medical marijuana was recently "legalized" here in Minnesota too. By legalized I mean legal to use in pill and vapor forms (we still can't smoke bud straight up). It's looking like medical MJ will be legal everywhere soon

fuckkkk medical!!!   we need lagalization across the board damnittt!!!!!!!!!            ughhhh       :ineeddrugs

I'm with you there, Queen! Bring it on!  :weedspin :Smokey: :weedspin

creep26

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
How convenient. I am from Queens NY and my Glaucoma is starting to act up!!!!  Maybe I can get a prescription by next week!!!!

DC

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Master
  • Finder & Fixer of old gear
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 11:36:03 PM »
That's the thing I've never understood. These folk's claim God's will is great and all that. They say he gave us the earth, and the trees, and nature, etc...

But don't touch these all natural healing plants you filthy heathens!

Dashneo

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:56 AM »

fuckkkk medical!!!   we need lagalization across the board damnittt!!!!!!!!!            ughhhh       :ineeddrugs

I hear ya there! I imagine that once medical MJ is legal everywhere it will soon be available for recreational use. With all the bullshit involved with legalizing it we'll have to take it one step at a time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:36:08 AM by Dashneo »

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
Fuck Face  Gov.Cuomo said he will not sign the bill if patients are going to smoke MMJ. W T F

he will only approve vaping , and oils. he only has until tomorrow to sign it so it is already dead as far as I can see.

he is a complete I D I O T.

better to not pass than to compromise the basic needs of people who have to smoke it to get the relief they need. Vaping and edibles are a totally different experience and may not help certain conditions.

fuck that FUCKING FUCKER
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal