Author Topic: Going to try edibles today  (Read 926 times)

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
Re: Going to try edibles today
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »
Today I tried 1/4 bottle of Irish Moss, eets working - I feel so much better. I be one chat while working on an article. Party on
Don't Date Robots! The world is trained to ignore everything unless it comes from the church, their TV, celebrities, or the media.

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Today I tried 1/4 bottle of Irish Moss, eets working - I feel so much better. I be one chat while working on an article. Party on

Irish Moss Health Concerns
by SUSAN on OCTOBER 11, 2012

Go figure, I finally jump onto the Irish Moss train, which has been touted as a super food in the raw food community for years, only to wake up to a weekly email in my in-box from Dr. Andrew Weil warning about the dangers of carrageenan. What does this have to do with Irish Moss? Carrageenan is extracted from Irish Moss.

Alarmed, I started digging and emailing. I even went to the woman who is considered to be the one of the top experts in carrageenan research, Dr. Joanne Tobacman of the University of Illinois. Dr. Tobacman has been studying the effects of carrageenan for over a decade.

It seems that carrageenan can cause inflammation (one of our greatest enemies) and intestinal distress. Even more alarming, when carrageenan is extracted from the irish moss, this form of carrageenan has been associated with human cancers.

But wait, haven’t we all read about the wonderful health benefits of Irish Moss? Isn’t it supposed to be great for us? I wondered if there was a difference between consuming Irish Moss in it’s whole form vs an extraction, the carrageenan.

I asked Dr. Tobacman if we needed to be concerned with consuming Irish Moss in it’s whole form. While the extraction is the most dangerous form (and widely found in many organic and non-organic products for sale), Dr. Tobacman stated, “When we tested Irish moss, we found that it also caused inflammation, similar to the effect of the derived carrageenan. The degree of inflammation was less, probably due to reduced availability of the carrageenan, due to the other ingredients in the seaweed. The answer to your question is yes, I think that Irish moss should be avoided, due to the likelihood that the carrageenan in the Irish moss will lead to inflammation.”

So there you have it. Armed with that information, you will not see Irish Moss used in any more recipes designated for consumption on this website. I am also redoing the Lemon Raspberry Souffle Tart that I published last week, replacing Irish Moss on the ingredient list.

Because of the prevalence of carrageenan in so many of the products that we use, including many organic varieties,  I am including some links that I think are important for you to visit to educate yourselves on this dangerous food additive.

Dr. Tobacman’s studies can be viewed here: Studies on Carrageenan (these are published medical studies)

Another excellent, easier to read article by Rodal Press: Carrageenan, The Natural Ingredient that is Wrecking Your Gut

From the Cornucopia Institute: Carrageenan: Linked to Gastrointestinal Inflammation and Colon Cancer  This article also discusses the attempts to get carrageenan removed from organic foods and the push-back the ensued.

After researching, reading and communicating with Dr. Tobacman, I would suggest that you remove Irish Moss from your raw food pantry and also make sure you look for carrageenan on your food labels and avoid it. Cornucopia has compiled a list of food producers that use carrageenan and those who don’t. You can find that list here: Shopping Guide to Avoid Carrageenan.

*If you have Irish Moss on hand, don’t throw it away. Irish Moss paste makes a wonderful face mask! I am working on a recipe for you this afternoon!

http://www.rawmazing.com/irish-moss-health-concerns/
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
All things in moderation, even water is toxic if you drink too much. I think the nasty stuff is bound up tight and does not get released in low doses of Irish Moss, there are
lots of other healthy things including weed in the magic drink Irish Moss.
Don't Date Robots! The world is trained to ignore everything unless it comes from the church, their TV, celebrities, or the media.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
Seems like everytime jbmac finds something he likes it turns out to be bad.
  There are plenty of other ways to eat weed, find a better one

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
Just make a batch of cannabutter and put it on anything you like.
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
I want that

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
I want that

make it.

Ingredients/tools:
1/4 oz of weed (~7 grams)
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
filtered water
a stove
a pot (or a crock pot)
an oven
baking tray
metal mesh strainer
digital thermometer that reaches 200+ degrees F (optional)
plastic tupperware (simply my preferred container)
Directions:
Bake your weed in the oven at 300°F for 15 minutes for decarboxylation (one of the most important steps! Seriously, it won't burn. Without this step, your cannabutter will not be near as potent as it could be!)
put ~1 cup of water in the pot on the stove and heat until it is boiling and then add your butter. You want to keep plenty of water in the pot or you will burn your butter. The more water, the slightly harder it is to drain later but it's totally worth your butter not tasting like burnt shit.
Add your decarboxylated weed to the water and butter. I ground mine up first but it probably doesn't make much of a difference.
Keep it at a steady but moderate boil at at least 200°F. Add more water if too much of it boils away.
Boil for 5 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or whenever it starts to boil too much. 5 hours may seem like a lot but it has been tested by the scientists at Cannalytics (which sounds legit) to make a relatively significant difference in the amount of THC that gets dissolved into the fat of the butter.
After 5 hours, pour the water and butter into the tupperware through the mesh strainer. I would suggest metal mesh over any type of cloth or paper because metal doesn't absorb oil. (Same reason you don't use paper coffee filters. It soaks up all the oils and makes your coffee tasteless and bitter. Seriously…you Folgers drinking motherfuckers are no better than crack addicts) Then use a spoon to mash all the leftover weed to squeeze as much oil out as you can. You can even pour more hot water through the strainer to get as much oil out as possible.
Put the lid on and put it out to cool off at room temperature. After a few hours of sitting out, you'll see the butter separate to the top and the nasty looking water at the bottom. At this point you should put it in the fridge overnight to let it fully separate and harden.
If using plastic tupperware, gently squeeze the tupperware until gaps open up to allow water out and pour all the useless water down the drain. Clean off the gunk at the bottom of the butter if you want. It's just watery weed gunk, not useful.
Use just like normal butter to cook with. I suggest using 1/2 cannabutter and 1/2 boring butter when baking as a potent but frugal ratio. I ate one brownie (16 brownie batch to half a stick of cannabutter, half a stick of boring butter) and was pretty amazingly blasted for 3 or 4 hours. Although it did take an hour to kick in.
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:23 AM »
I love making Firecrackers..good stuff..

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

And let's not forget those bong-water brownies...

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »

And let's not forget those bong-water brownies...

ugh, I am trying to forget those..I still belch that shit once in a while. Worst taste ever. Worked, but not worth it..

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
A mini review of GanjaGoddess.com (formerly The Goddess Delivers) awesome gingerbread, had a 1/3 and I am where I want to be...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal