Author Topic: Texas Senate Approves Medical Marijuana Bill  (Read 203 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
Texas Senate Approves Medical Marijuana Bill
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »
There's a bill that moving through the Texas Legislature that would allow people with severe seizures access to a type of marijuana oil.

Senate bill 339 passed with a 26 to five vote.

The oil in this bill would be extracted from marijuana, a substance not yet legal in Texas.

But this bill would treat marijuana not as a recreational drug, but as a medicinal one.

College sophomore Edgar Cepeda has his coffee as he's headed to class.

But aside from the daily concern for completed homework and keeping up a GPA, Cepeda also keeps his friends in mind.

Three in particular, suffer from seizures due to epilepsy.

"It was really scary at times. I did not know what to do at first. I had to actually help him and straighten him to keep him from hurting his head", said Cepeda.

Cepeda says one of his friends is taking medication to treat his seizures.

"I notice from him, he doesn't feel as well at times. He has depression, and he doesn't feel himself most of the time", said Cepeda.

But there is another option.

"My other friend, on the other hand, he does smoke marijuana", said Cepeda.

That option is not legal for now, but Senate Bill 339 could change that.

Traditionally, seizures are treated with prescription medication.

Neurologist Doctor Fernando Sanchez who treats this disorder says there's also surgery, however, it's not always effective.

"Unfortunately, half of them get benefits from the surgery. A few ones, continue getting seizures even after the surgery and prescribed medications", said Doctor Sanchez.

As an alternative for people with "Intractable" seizures, the bill would allow the use of cannabidiol or C.N.B. oil.

It's an extract of marijuana that makes use of its more medicinal attributes.

"Cannabinoid is the actual helpful compound of the marijuana. The one that is not helpful is the THC", said Doctor Sanchez.

It can be used as an oil rubbed over the skin, or taken orally. This doesn't include smoking it.

The use of this alternative would not lead to a 'high'.

Opponents cited by Texas tribune argue this could lead to an increase in recreational use.

Others feel it would be hard to regulate. As for Cepeda and his friends, the bill sounds like relief.

"I'm actually glad they're considering it. Because, my friend i'm sure would like to take something that probably not hurt him as bad as the medications out there right now", said Cepeda.

Our state senator Judith Zaffirini voted for the bill. In a statement she sent to KGNS it reads in part:

"More than 148,000 Texans, mostly children, suffer from intractable epilepsy and can suffer hundreds of severe seizures per week. CBD oil has been shown to dramatically decrease the number of seizures in these patients, and it does not cause patients to 'get high.'"

The administration of this oil would be regulated by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

This bill has been approved by the senate but needs approval from the house and the governor before it becomes law.

Two other bills dealing with marijuana are also being addressed by Texas Legislature.

One addresses decriminalization, and the other a full legalization.

Source http://www.kgns.tv/home/headlines/Texas-Senate-Approves-Unworkable-Medical-Marijuana-Bill-303016521.html?device=phone&c=y
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Texas Senate Approves Medical Marijuana Bill
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
 :goodpost

Damn, the times be a chagin' even in Texas! :horns up

Not the bill I want, but it's progress regardless. Need it to happen at the fed level to seal the deal.

:weedspin :weedspin :weedspin

Simonsays

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • still your passenger
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
Good news! This even passed in NC! :5_1_125:
I've been crawling on my belly
 Clearing out what could've been.
 I've been wallowing in my own chaotic
 And insecure delusions.

I wanna feel the change consume me,
 Feel the outside turning in.
 I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
 Cleansing I've endured within
                    46x2- Tool

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
If this keeps up, 2016 may just be our year. With more and more initiatives gaining traction across the country, this might force the MJ issue to the national forefront for the election.  :yeahboy:

And I will not cast a vote for a candidate that does not support legalization for all purposes ever again. Since the bastards don't do what we send them there for anyway, I'm going to focus on my issues from now on. Eff em!

:weedspin :weedspin :weedspin

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal