Author Topic: Alaska becomes first state to allow marijuana consumption outside of Home  (Read 986 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
The Marijuana Control Board voted to allow for consumption of marijuana at retail stores across the state, which, if approved by Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott, would make Alaska the first state to allow a regulated area for marijuana consumption outside of a person’s home or other private spaces.

The change allows for people to buy marijuana at a retail store and consume it in a designated area on the premises.

The board voted 3-2 in favor of the amendment, with Loren Jones, public health board member, and Peter Mlynarik, the public safety board member, dissenting.

The amendment functions as a placeholder; specifics as to what these establishments will look like will be decided at a later date, director Cynthia Franklin said. 

Local laws banning indoor smoking still apply.

It is also a major shift from the board’s former policy position, and comes after heated public debate surrounding sanctioning spaces for marijuana use.

However, marijuana social clubs, where someone brings their own marijuana products to consume, is still considered illegal, the board said.

In Alaska, several social clubs focused on marijuana consumption opened after legalization, in response to the question of where one might go to consume marijuana. But the clubs were deemed to fall under the definition of a public place, and since public consumption is illegal, so were the clubs, the state argued. The clubs maintained they were acting legally.

Then in August, the Marijuana Control Board rolled out proposed regulations that would explicitly ban the clubs. The decision was met with a wave of negative public comment, including a brief demonstration by social club supporters during the board meeting.

The board had argued that it didn’t have the power to create an additional license type, as only four license types (retail, cultivation, manufacturing and testing facilities) were specified under Alaska’s legalization initiative.

The proposed amendment sidesteps the argument by creating a space to consume marijuana under the auspices of a retail license. It would also exclude the retailers from the definition of a public space.

With the passage of the vote, Alaska is bucking a trend that has so far held steady in other states that have legalized recreational marijuana, where there are no state-sanctioned places to consume marijuana.

In Washington and Colorado, public consumption is illegal. In July, though, legislation was passed in Washington that explicitly banned clubs.

In Colorado, local governments are taking a crack at rules that would allow for clubs. The state doesn’t monitor or license spaces for consumption, wrote Ro Silva, acting communications director for the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Meanwhile, in Oregon, social clubs are neither expressly permitted nor banned, said Mark Pettinger, spokesman for the recreational marijuana program with the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, but public consumption is likewise banned.
source http://www.adn.com/article/20151120/alaska-marijuana-control-board-votes-allow-marijuana-bars
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Alaska becomes first state to allow marijuana consumption outside of Home
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
 :stoned :goodpost :goodpost

AWESOME!!!

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
A very cool step in the right direction! :horns up

:weedspin :weedspin :weedspin

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
I think it's funny to kick the cigarette smokers out and let the pot smokers stay indoors!
As an ex-smoker and non-hypocrite I feel for you smokers & if I were physically able I
would still be smoking myself. Unfortunately my lungs won't have it. One thing that pisses
me off about not letting smokers smoke, at least at the damn bar. I have been in a few
VFW clubs and the 'smoke eaters' they have take the smoke away, even before a non-smoker
 can smell them, so why not allow smoking indoors, with the great smoke dispersing tech we
do have available? I think it is all about the cig haters crapping on the tobacco lovers. We
should have greater regard and patience for our fellow Americans & I think we used to--What has changed?

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »
 :goodpost

i dont wanna have to go outside in alaska...wake me when hawaii gets that rule.

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
I think it's funny to kick the cigarette smokers out and let the pot smokers stay indoors!
As an ex-smoker and non-hypocrite I feel for you smokers & if I were physically able I
would still be smoking myself. Unfortunately my lungs won't have it. One thing that pisses
me off about not letting smokers smoke, at least at the damn bar. I have been in a few
VFW clubs and the 'smoke eaters' they have take the smoke away, even before a non-smoker
 can smell them, so why not allow smoking indoors, with the great smoke dispersing tech we
do have available? I think it is all about the cig haters crapping on the tobacco lovers. We
should have greater regard and patience for our fellow Americans & I think we used to--What has changed?

I've never understood why there can't be both smoking and non-smoking establishments. Patrons can choose which way they want to go, and the market will ultimately determine which businesses survive and which don't. Don't like smoking, then don't go into the place with the big ole sign that says smoking permitted in this establishment - simple. Why do Americans have to be such assholes these days? :wacked:

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

I've never understood why there can't be both smoking and non-smoking establishments. Patrons can choose which way they want to go, and the market will ultimately determine which businesses survive and which don't. Don't like smoking, then don't go into the place with the big ole sign that says smoking permitted in this establishment - simple. Why do Americans have to be such assholes these days? :wacked:

Because the majority are a bunch of pussies that were raised too soft so everything hurts their little feelings.
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

Because the majority are a bunch of pussies that were raised too soft so everything hurts their little feelings.

Yeah, there's a lot of that going around these days. These morons seem to think that they have an inalienable right not to be offended by anything or something deluded like that. They better pull their panties up soon because I have a feeling a lot of reality will be coming to the US in the near term. And that reality isn't going to give a crap about how they feel when it slaps them upside their misguided little heads.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »

Yeah, there's a lot of that going around these days. These morons seem to think that they have an inalienable right not to be offended by anything or something deluded like that. They better pull their panties up soon because I have a feeling a lot of reality will be coming to the US in the near term. And that reality isn't going to give a crap about how they feel when it slaps them upside their misguided little heads.

I agree, just wait till about 50,000 muslims move in next door
   It's coming...

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
Canada, if they legalize, will swiftly be confirmed as the best place to live over all in this world. Thinking more and more to escape. .. they have to legalize first though.
And if you see your mom this weekend, tell her I said
Satan Satan Satan Satan

JustSayin

• TGL Kratomologist
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • I get knocked down, but I get up again!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
I was pissed off when I coached Little league and everyone got trophies - even those that put no effort into it - that's just a symptom of how pussified our American Society has become. Also why a whole generation or two now  thinks they are entitled to the keys to the kingdom without earning them... not going to be much of a kingdom anyways pretty soon at this rate

Mediocrity is rewarded for fear of hurt feelings, as is stupidity, The American public is indeed a bunch of sheeple.

I'll never forget the video of the woman (I think it was a woman) "I voted for Obama cause he giving us free phones!"
Life is The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed

JustSayin

• TGL Kratomologist
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • I get knocked down, but I get up again!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
Well that wouldn't be generalizing and oversimplifying would it?

You're right. How dare anyone attempt to build the self esteem of children? People are meant to be judged from the very beginning of their lives. If a child cannot win a trophy, he clearly will have no worth as a person. Clearly our country should go backwards. We're doing it with Racism, why not other things too!

What about hitting kids? Are we not doing enough of that anymore either? Are we coddling our children too much by not beating the shit out of them with belts, canes, switches etc as was common in past generations? Perhaps speak to your children about the issues you are bringing up and try to make them a better example than the type of young people you are generalizing.

Woah did you miss my point. Your sarcasm is noted. I work with young people and their parents daily and I can tell you I am not way off on this.  Where did I say anything about hitting kids, categorizing, labeling or any such thing?  Our society does indeed award mediocrity. That's not the way to build self-esteem, especially when they get out into the world and are totally unprepared for the reality that they won't be handed a high paying job without earning it, but that's the attitude many have.. . Where is the incentive for those that put the effort in? it has nothing to do with wanting to go back to the 1950s Daddy Knows best mentality. Its just that we have swung way too far in the opposite direction in our PC society. I'm guessing your a younger dude and took offense at my generalization. I'm not saying this is everybody so if you took offense I will apologize. I don't know you as an individual. , but it is my experience with many. The vast majority in fact. My kids are young adults now with young children, and I never had to hit them or be a douche to instill a strong work ethic and a a sense of reality about what they were facing - and they are doing well because they were prepared.
Life is The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
Well that wouldn't be generalizing and oversimplifying would it?

You're right. How dare anyone attempt to build the self esteem of children? People are meant to be judged from the very beginning of their lives. If a child cannot win a trophy, he clearly will have no worth as a person. Clearly our country should go backwards. We're doing it with Racism, why not other things too!

What about hitting kids? Are we not doing enough of that anymore either? Are we coddling our children too much by not beating the shit out of them with belts, canes, switches etc as was common in past generations? Perhaps speak to your children about the issues you are bringing up and try to make them a better example than the type of young people you are generalizing.

Woah did you miss my point. Your sarcasm is noted. I work with young people and their parents daily and I can tell you I am not way off on this.  Where did I say anything about hitting kids, categorizing, labeling or any such thing?  Our society does indeed award mediocrity. That's not the way to build self-esteem, especially when they get out into the world and are totally unprepared for the reality that they won't be handed a high paying job without earning it, but that's the attitude many have.. . Where is the incentive for those that put the effort in? it has nothing to do with wanting to go back to the 1950s Daddy Knows best mentality. Its just that we have swung way too far in the opposite direction in our PC society. I'm guessing your a younger dude and took offense at my generalization. I'm not saying this is everybody so if you took offense I will apologize. I don't know you as an individual. , but it is my experience with many. The vast majority in fact. My kids are young adults now with young children, and I never had to hit them or be a douche to instill a strong work ethic and a a sense of reality about what they were facing - and they are doing well because they were prepared.

You're right on the money with your assessment, JS. This PC nonsense is actually putting our country in danger right now, and I absolutely agree that giving everyone a trophy simply for participation is ridiculous. Children need to learn that they are not going to be good at everything, so they have to seek out the things that they are good at so that they can find their place in society. I have no problem with giving kids some sort of recognition for participation, but the ones that excel need to be given something with more distinction otherwise we kill the motivation to excel. Think about it. Who cares about a trophy if everyone has one, and the exact same one at that? It's easy to see how this mentality is screwing things up by looking at our current school system. We currently spend more per child than anywhere in the world, and just what results are we getting for that? Crappier scores across the board for years. Why is this happening? Simple, you don't need to really pass those classes anymore because everyone gets a diploma - same as those trophies. Doesn't matter how much you slacked and didn't give a crap in school, you'll get socially promoted just the same. I've seen this BS in action first hand. How the hell can we have folks walking around with a HS diploma that cannot read or do simple math? Guess it makes everyone feel good though, and those school systems keep getting that money because everyone 'passed.' We're on our way to idiocracy across the board for sure.  :snoop:

As for racism, if you didn't want to regress in that area, then you shouldn't have cast your votes for O'jackass. His racist BS has set us back 50 years, and he blatantly hates white people, pure and simple. He's all about payback and reparations - how's that working out for us now? You merely need to read his own words and look at his actions without blinders on to realize that. Sorry if that offends, but it's the simple truth. Don't really care if that pisses anyone off anymore. I'm done with PC. This guy is a danger to our country and way of life. Unbelievable that he got elected twice...

As for speaking to kids about things, it would appear that you don't have any practical experience as a parent in this area, JB. Nothing wrong with that, but when you do you'll realize a very simple fact - kids are not adults. They do not hear things clearly to process information and rationalize as adults do. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying pick up a belt and beat kids into submission and never talk to your kids. On the other hand, kids really want and need guidance, and sometimes that guidance needs to come at them hard and fast without explanation. Sometimes reality needs to hit them in the face (figuratively), and they need to see that that's just they way this world is and they have to deal with it. There's no easier way to screw up the parent/child relationship than by explaining every last thing in detail to them. If you keep doing that, then they tend to think that they are on equal ground with the parent since the parent is discussing things with them as they do other adults. Once that sinks into their immature little brains, all due respect is then lost for the parent. The crap will continue to hit the fan from there on. Again, I speak from experience on that. You'll see the wisdom in it when the time comes.

/End of rant... :smokebanana

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »

I agree, just wait till about 50,000 muslims move in next door
   It's coming...

No need to wait, these folks are already here. Didn't take long for round one to happen - can you say San Bernadino, CA? And our moronic leader started talking about gun control before the bodies were even cold. Ya know, cause gun control works so well for this issue (workplace violence?  :rollingonasslaughing:) Just ask the Parisians. Big time gun control there, and bigger body count.

AMeanOne

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
Lol wow. :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal