Author Topic: Alzheimer’s Caused By Loss of Cannabinoids, Study Shows  (Read 454 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
Alzheimer’s Caused By Loss of Cannabinoids, Study Shows
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
Early deficits in Alzheimer’s may be caused by blockage of the brain’s cannabinoids, according to new research out of Stanford University.

Clumps of protein in the brain, called beta-amyloid plaques, are the primary marker of Alzheimer’s disease. For long, scientists knew that these clumps interfered with memory signals in the brain — but they weren’t sure how.

Now a team from Stanford University School of Medicine has traced the effects of beta-amyloid plaque to activity of the brain’s endogenous cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids. These compounds are produced naturally by the brain and mimic the effects of compounds in cannabis. Among many functions, cannabinoids play a key role in memory and learning.

“Endocannabinoids in the brain are very transient”Looking at brain slices taken from rats, the researchers observed that clumps of beta-amyloid indirectly impaired memory pathways by interfering with the normal activity of cannabinoids.
This interference with the brain’s cannabinoids may be the mechanism by which early memory deficits in Alzheimer’s are formed, says Daniel Madison, PhD, who led the study. Cannabinoids may also present a new opportunity for treating Alzheimer’s before the disease advances, he adds.

The findings were published June 18 in the journal Neuron.

However, Dr. Madison says it would be inaccurate to assume that smoking cannabis could counteract the effects of beta-amyloid plaque on memory and learning.

“Endocannabinoids in the brain are very transient and act only when important inputs come in,” explains Dr. Madison. Marijuana’s main ingredient, THC, has a much longer-lasting effect, he notes.

“Exposure to marijuana over minutes or hours is different: more like enhancing everything indiscriminately, so you lose the filtering effect. It’s like listening to five radio stations at once.”

On the other hand, a 2013 study by researchers from Neuroscience Research Australia suggests an ingredient in marijuana called CBD could be beneficial. The team, led by Tim Karl, PhD, found that treatment with CBD led to drastic improvements in memory in mice genetically engineered to mimic Alzheimer’s disease.

Besides the potential to combat Alzheimer’s symptoms, some studies suggest cannabinoids also hold promise in slowing progression of the disorder.
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Alzheimer’s Caused By Loss of Cannabinoids, Study Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
 :goodpost

Marijuana is great in so many ways, I am looking forward to the day it is legalized on a Federal Level!

Hoping this happens, cause Alcohol is legal everywhere, and look how negative that can affect a persons life!!!

:weedspin :weedspin :weedspin

• TGL Artisan
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Legalize POT !
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
Grape Ape ... last bud of grape ape. Bong and gone...
I have haven't drank alcohol for 33 ys. Smoke pot everyday. No one one knows it but me, my wife and son. No one in the world. Been that way for 30 yrs. Guess I'm a old lone stoner.
Kind of like the Lone Ranger, Tonto and Silver.

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:01:38 PM »
I have haven't drank alcohol for 33 ys. Smoke pot everyday. No one one knows it but me, my wife and son. No one in the world. Been that way for 30 yrs. Guess I'm a old lone stoner.

You don't have to be alone as long as you have us bro.  :passing-joint:

It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »
Ahhhhhh.... Acid you kill me --- after trudging through the idiocy on other forums tonight, looking for info on Omega Labs, it is REAL OBVIOUS how good we do have it here.

Fucking amazing article, the miracles expound!
And if you see your mom this weekend, tell her I said
Satan Satan Satan Satan

• TGL Artisan
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Legalize POT !
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »

You don't have to be alone as long as you have us bro.  :passing-joint:

:passing-joint:

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
Thanks for the share.

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »
Ahhhhhh.... Acid you kill me --- after trudging through the idiocy on other forums tonight, looking for info on Omega Labs, it is REAL OBVIOUS how good we do have it here.

Fucking amazing article, the miracles expound!

:goodpost

Life is indeed good on the Planet, and thanks for the read. MJ is a miracle in so many ways. Insanely crazy how the world lost it's way on this one... :wacked:

Free da weed!!!

:weedspin :weedspin :weedspin

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral