Author Topic: COOKING WITH CANNABIS: HOW TO MAKE EDIBLES Part 1, How to Make Infused Butter  (Read 566 times)

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Cannabis-infused butter (cannabutter) is one of the simplest and most common ways to make medicated foods, yet making infused butter properly can be a little bit tricky. In order for THC to properly decarboxylate—change from its acid form to its psychoactive form—the cannabis needs to be heated at low temperatures over long periods of time.
For the purposes of this article, we recommend simmering your cannabis either on the stove or in a slow cooker at a temperature range of 200F to 250F for a longer period of time. This will ensure that your cannabis does not become too hot too quickly and burn off active cannabinoids.

Ingredients:
1 lb unsalted butter
1 cup water (add more water at any time if needed)
1 ounce of ground cannabis flower or 1 1/2 ounces of high-quality cannabis trim (this amount will make some pretty potent butter, so decrease the amount of cannabis if you want a recipe that delivers lighter doses)
Note: Some people also use the remnants of vaporized cannabis, as many vaporizers fail to decarboxylate all of the THC in flower.

Stove Top Method:
Add one cup of water and 1 lb of butter into a stock pot or sauce pan; let the butter melt and begin to simmer on low. Adding water helps to regulate the temperature and prevents the butter from scorching.
As butter begins to melt, add in your ground cannabis product.
Maintain low heat and let the mixture simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Make sure the mixture never comes to a full boil.

Slow Cooker Method
Turn slow cooker onto low and add in 1 cup of water, 1 lb of unsalted butter, and 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of ground cannabis flower.
Cover slow cooker and let simmer on low for 8 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. When it comes to infusing butter, the longer you let the cannabis product simmer, the more cannabinoids will be infused into the final product.

For Both Methods:
After simmering for your desired amount of time, pour the hot mixture into a glass, refrigerator-safe container, using a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer to strain out all plant product from the butter mixture. Squeeze or press the plant material to get as much liquid off of the plant product as possible. Discard leftover plant material.
Cover and refrigerate remaining liquid overnight or until the butter is fully hardened. Once hardened, the butter will separate from the water, allowing you to lift the now infused canna-butter from the water to use in your recipes. Discard remaining water after removing the hardened canna-butter.
Let the canna-butter sit at room temperature to soften for use. Do not use a microwave to soften the butter.

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
neither recipe mentioned decarbing. without this step you lose 70-75% of the potential the weed has to make decent butter.

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
neither recipe mentioned decarbing. without this step you lose 70-75% of the potential the weed has to make decent butter.
Care to elaborate..

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Care to elaborate..

I just did :jay:
Step 1 Decarb
Step 2 make butter the way you like.

Without decarbing you lose 70-75% of the potential potency because only 25-30% of the THCa is converted to THC if you do not decarb.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
And for these reasons I like to buy Kushy Punch they make a great thc infused gummi candy
the recipe was recently revised and now the thc taste is almost entirely gone

Inquire about Kushy Punch at your local black market    http://kushypunch.com

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Care to elaborate..

I just did :jay:
Step 1 Decarb
Step 2 make butter the way you like.

Without decarbing you lose 70-75% of the potential potency because only 25-30% of the THCa is converted to THC if you do not decarb.

I guess what i mean. Is what is the process of decarb.  Im not familiar with that term.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:53:28 AM by Swisha »

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
Decarbing is heating up your marijuana at low temps (usually low temp in the oven) to convert more cannabinoids into digestible THC.

I always thought that the heat used in the cooking/infusing process decarbed the marijuana at the same time as it infused the butter, though, so I still think I must be missing something.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Decarbing is heating up your marijuana at low temps (usually low temp in the oven) to convert more cannabinoids into digestible THC.

I always thought that the heat used in the cooking/infusing process decarbed the marijuana at the same time as it infused the butter, though, so I still think I must be missing something.

In order for cannabis to convert THCa into THC it has to lose a C02 molecule. It cannot do this efficiently in a pool of hot oil. It will decarb enough to "work" but no where near the potency it could be if you simply decarb first.  Get a nice glass pan and place your bud in it and cover tightly with foil, place in middle rack at 240 for 30-45 minutes. Let cool for up to 1/2 hour before breaking the seal so all the vapors settle back down into the weed that were released into vapor from the heat.

Then add it to your favorite butter recipe. Mine is 8-10 hours in a crockpot with high fat butter and a few tablespoons of organic coconut oil. The coconut oil has rare properties and is able to absorb much more THC per fat molecule than ordinary butter.

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
 :goodpost

Thanks for the post, Swisha.

I've made quite a bit of THC infused butter over time, but I haven't tried decarbing it first yet. That may have to be this week's experiment in the lab... :Smokey:

toy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
Cool read :goodpost

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
I tried activating a quarter oz one time,
I had it all cleaned and sitting pretty on my sheet pan.
Got all stoned and put it in the oven.
Shoulda turned on the timer, cause when I opened the oven door--
a big cloud of smoke, I thought OMG My Actives!!  :weed:
 It went right out the damn window & I never saw it again

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
I tried activating a quarter oz one time,
I had it all cleaned and sitting pretty on my sheet pan.
Got all stoned and put it in the oven.
Shoulda turned on the timer, cause when I opened the oven door--
a big cloud of smoke, I thought OMG My Actives!!  :weed:
 It went right out the damn window & I never saw it again

I did the exact same thing once with some firecrackers. :D
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal