Author Topic: Road to Legalization in New Jersey  (Read 232 times)

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
Road to Legalization in New Jersey
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »
Hey, or should I say HOWUDOIN

I'm intending to use this thread to chronicle the journey to recreational cannabis in New Jersey. I was born in NJ and am a current resident again, having lived in South Carolina for a few years. Since I've been back one thing I've paid somewhat close attention to is the path to decriminalizing/legalizing marijuana. Lots of folks seem to favor it around here, but Chris Christie's ____ _____ (insert your favorite insult for him here) has pretty much been a human roadblock in its way. In November, Phil Murphy was elected governor and one of his primary campaign promises was to legalize recreational cannabis.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-jerseys-next-governor-promises-marijuana-legalization/

Today he was inaugurated and although I my feelings towards politicians still eclipse hatred, I am eager to see what, if any changes will come to pass.
He started things off on the right foot directly addressing the issue in his speech and on twitter.

His tweet read: "A stronger and fairer New Jersey embraces comprehensive criminal justice reform -- including a process to legalize marijuana -- and focuses on creating housing that is affordable and safe from the danger of lead. #NewDayNJ".

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-jersey-governor-promises-legal-marijuana-inauguration-speech/

I'm also looking to enter the industry on a professional level, so I will chronicle my personal journey here as well.

Certainly interested in anyone else's perspectives and input on legalization and also other's experiences on relevant matters in other already (or soon to be) legalized states.

Here's to not only recreational legalization in NJ, but a swift one at that. And also one that passes on from state to state like a friendly doober should.   :weedpass:
"Although you come with saws and axes, in the end I shall grow over your graves."

ÂçïÐ_Rëƒlü×®

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Road to Legalization in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:17 PM »
 :weedspin  Free Da Weed

jimijams

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Shaman
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
free it up--everyone can benefit!!! -We should have jobs, oppourtunities, and many of us who believe should GUIDE the rest to legalization and medicinal help-free ourselves of all the terrrible chems that we have used to create this epidemic of abuse of script drugs-

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »
free it up--everyone can benefit!!! -We should have jobs, oppourtunities, and many of us who believe should GUIDE the rest to legalization and medicinal help-free ourselves of all the terrrible chems that we have used to create this epidemic of abuse of script drugs-

:weedspin  Free Da Weed

Yes. There are certainly many obvious benefits to legalizing recreational marijuana, but I think we have to be careful to avoid its pratfalls as well. I'll go into that at a later time, but I certainly think the +'s outweigh the -'s. I've been an advocate of legalization for about as long as I realized some major reasons why mj was made illegal in the first place and kept illegal thereafter (another topic that I think deserves its own thread). And Jimi, what you say is one reason why I myself am looking to work in the industry. I want to directly contribute to this process, in whatever capacity that I can fit myself into.

Today's article deals with how some municipalities don't want to have dispensaries in their towns.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/37249287/new-jersey-towns-at-odds-over-marijuana-legalization

It's kinda funny to me that I town like Point Pleasant's mayor is saying they don't want it sold there. It's basically a vacation town (mostly day trippers) throughout the summer and is located right on the beach. A bit north is Asbury Park which has recently overgone a semi-massive tourism overhaul (it used to be a big vacation spot but slowly degraded into a shithole). AP loves to promote itself now as some kind of cool, progressive, yet old fashioned town so in a lot of ways that makes sense for them.
I'm about 30 miles or so north of them, and although I haven't heard a statement from my local jackasses in charge, we already have a medical dispensary in our municipality so I think they would welcome rec mj with open arms. The main street that runs a block from my house is always having high turnover on the businesses that occupy it. (Just found out my gym is closing as the latest casualty on the list this week.) So I'm hoping some joint joint opens literally in walking distance to me.
"Although you come with saws and axes, in the end I shall grow over your graves."

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »
Murphy just held a press conference where he announced authorizing a review of the conditions that qualify for medical marijuana in NJ.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-23/murphy-orders-broader-access-to-new-jersey-s-medical-pot-program

The program has been in effect since 2012, with Chris Christie doing about everything he could to make it a mockery and a shell of what it should be to help people. There are numerous 'hoops to jump through' for perspective candidates with various excessive requirements and fees to the individual that are beyond reasonable. It is widely agreed to be the most strict mmj program in the nation. Also, candidates who qualify don't have access to concentrates, edibles, or home delivery of their medicine. The last is particularly egregious considering the qualifying conditions for the program. 5 more conditions for mmj were added in October 2017, but needed approval of the state health commissioner before going into effect. I'm not sure if they ever did, as the acting shc had 180 days from that date to give final approval. I can't find any evidence online of her acting one way or another, and we're still technically under the 180 day allotment.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/westorange/new-jersey-medical-marijuana-panel-oks-5-new-conditions

Overall though, today's developments were another step in the right direction. Certain folks (imo my father included) should have access to mmj asap, even before recreational guidelines are enacted.

Edit- For my poor grammar
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:34:29 PM by Ozone »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal