Author Topic: Illinois Governor Pledges To Legalize Marijuana In Inaugural Address  (Read 217 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist

Newly sworn-in Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) confirmed in his inaugural address on Monday that he plans to make good on a campaign promise to legalize marijuana.

“In the interests of keeping the public safe from harm, expanding true justice in our criminal justice system, and advancing economic inclusion, I will work with the legislature to legalize, tax and regulate the sale of recreational cannabis in Illinois,” Pritzker said in remarks shortly after taking the oath of office.

Newly sworn-in Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) confirmed in his inaugural address on Monday that he plans to make good on a campaign promise to legalize marijuana.

“In the interests of keeping the public safe from harm, expanding true justice in our criminal justice system, and advancing economic inclusion, I will work with the legislature to legalize, tax and regulate the sale of recreational cannabis in Illinois,” Pritzker said in remarks shortly after taking the oath of office.

Pritzker had made legalizing marijuana a centerpiece of his election campaign last year going back to the Democratic primary, during which he held a press conference outside of a medical cannabis dispensary at one point.

Shortly after the general election, in which he ousted now former Gov. Bruce Rauner (R), Pritzker said that he wanted to pursue ending marijuana prohibition “right away” following his inauguration.

A recent study found that legalization would create 24,000 jobs in Illinois, as well as generate more than $500 million in tax revenue and infuse about $1 billion into the state economy overall by 2020.

A Democratic senator last week moved to file placeholder legislation to legalize cannabis.

Pritzker isn’t the only state governor to focus on marijuana during a big speech this month.

Reelected New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) pledged to legalize cannabis during his inaugural address, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) spoke about decriminalizing marijuana possession in his State of the Commonwealth speech and new Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) touted the benefits of hemp and legal cannabis as part of his State of the State address.  :weedspin
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Re: Illinois Governor Pledges To Legalize Marijuana In Inaugural Address
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
This is fantastic news of the War for Drugs--
unfortunately it's easy to see Illinois is too stupid not to up the prices (with tax)
 to over black market price from the get go, instead of making their legal weed cheap & putting dealers out of biz--
What else can Illinois do? Poor broke fuckers already lost the lottery for their state after refusing to pay the last 5 winners--
I bet that lottery was one of the few things they even had paying them revenue

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Illinois Governor Pledges To Legalize Marijuana In Inaugural Address
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
Definitely great news on the legalization front! :kevsmith:

You're right though, jones. Illinois is sure to go the California route and tax the crap out of it so that the illicit market still thrives. I hate that tax money is likely the biggest motivator for a lot of these fair weather politicians, but it beats the crap out of prohibition just the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal