Author Topic: GDP Oil, Cartridge, & Vape review.  (Read 1483 times)

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
GDP Oil, Cartridge, & Vape review.
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »
      This review is of the prizes I won in the most recent contest. I'll kind of jump around between the products in narrative and provide a numerical evaluation for each separately at the end of the post. The prizes consisted of a Hades mythology vape as well as a generously filled cart of Grand Daddy Purple. The cart itself was a bit different from what I've used previously in that it has an adjustable air flow mechanism. Detailed pictures of the vape and cart can be found in the original contest thread. https://thegalaxylounge.org/forum/index.php?topic=6594.0
      The vape unit itself is very compact; only about 2.5" tall, 1.5" wide, & 1" thick. I got a green one, which is probably my favorite basic color, so that was neat. It has a keychain attachment, which I didn't use, but with its compact size the attachment makes some sense and adds to its portability. It would be a bit bulky for me though to carry around though consistently. I tend to try to keep these types of apparatuses away from the eyes of the uninitiated, especially with the current controversy surrounding these types of products. As much as I like talking to random folks, I'm not looking to have a vape related conversation when I hand my keychain to the supermarket person with my shopper's card attached. Other aspects of the mod were more appealing to me personally though. It's easy enough to use/maintain which is a big plus for me. I generally shy away from vape stuff after taking a dip in that direction a while ago. It just gets a bit overwhelming to me with all the options on mods, cartridges, etc. It's a new kind of pursuit and so much changes so quickly. When I compare this new mod to the old one I had a few years ago it's like comparing one of those bulky cell phones from the 90s to current ones. Except the changes occur during a much shorter time frame. It makes it all really tough to follow and keep with unless you have a passion for that kind of thing. I know some folks basically handcraft their own mods and solder that shit together. That's just not my thing. I'm more the kind of guy who had to check and make sure I spelled solder correctly. So I like a few options on a unit, but I wouldn't want anything too complicated with my limited understanding and lack of passion for the subculture. As a result this unit was a nice sweet spot. It's got a preheat feature and 3 voltage settings represented by color. There isn't a numerical display of voltage on the unit, but that's one of the things that really doesn't matter to me. As long as it serves its purpose. About a year ago I got a cart but the pen vape I had at the time wasn't powerful enough to burn it. There were none of those issues with this unit, even on the lowest setting. I typically used the preheat feature, but a few times just went right at it. The preheating burns some oil itself, so I was sure to be inhaling it while it heated or some would have just gone to waste. Am I supposed to preheat it without the cart attached and then screw it on? Since I'm not taking more than 2 hits at a session the preheating seemed even less necessary, as I could get get a decent enough hit during the preheat period. After that short usage I would just turn the vape off immediately. I'm really not sure on how long a charge lasts. It didn't seem very long (I recharged it after about 4 days) but I don't know if the battery was charged fully prior. It comes with a small usb cable and I plugged it in for about an hour when I first got it but don't know if I took it to a full charge, probably not.
    The cartridge itself has 3 holes below the mouthpiece that are adjustable easily by hand to allow more air in than a traditional cart if desired. I really didn't change the air flow for a few days as it was hitting fine on the first 2 voltage settings without it. When I did, it really seemed to improve the overall experience. More air intake allowed me to generate more vapor and I seemed to get more out of the oil effects wise as well. I think it also help extend the duration of the cart since it took less to get me where I wanted to be. I really like this added feature in the cart. Like I mentioned, getting max intake with all 3 holes exposed seemed to yield the best results, prolonging and enhancing the oil. It really didn't taste much different although more intake also yielded a more intense aromatic flavor.

(Review in process. GDP oil review next)  :lama:
"Although you come with saws and axes, in the end I shall grow over your graves."

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
Re: GDP Oil, Cartridge, & Vape review.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
I'll have the review of the star of the show, the GDP, up in a few hours.

And now a word from our sponsors.

"Although you come with saws and axes, in the end I shall grow over your graves."

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
If the enthusiasm and general awesomeness of your review isn't proof of how good that oil is, I know the next installment will have me jealous indeed!   Dang, good stuff
And if you see your mom this weekend, tell her I said
Satan Satan Satan Satan

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »
And we're back.

Grand Daddy Purple is among the first modern strain names I remember. Probably saw it in High Times.
Back in the day, the most detail I could get from folks I dealt with was they had "hydro" or "kind buds". It was rare for anyone to claim a specific strain and there was little to no way to ever know if it really was what they claimed. So it's great to see how far things have come.
With the advent of vaping concentrates, it's gone even further to another level of variety.
     The gdp oil itself looks like one might expect it to, a gooey golden amber.
I really wasn't looking for too much of an intense experience so I just went with one or two hits per dose. I enjoy and get benefits from pretty much the full spectrum of cannabis. My reasons to use it have changed over the years. These days it's to deal with what I'll call 'minor depression' &  'life's general bullshit'.  I really don't look to get wasted, but to medicate and enhance motivation.  As a result I really didn't get to take things too far with this one and don't know much about higher doses of it. I also hadn't had much cannabis recently and was on a bit of a semi voluntary tolerance break.
     I started on the green setting on the vape mod, the lowest voltage.  As usual, the first hit was the roughest and I coughed a bit, but not more than I have in the past under similar circumstances.  I have a hard time with terpene aromatics. I guess I would say it was in the direction of a 'dark fruit/berry'. It's not a very intense flavor, as most cannabis is not. Especially with one hit at a time or so, it's not really a 'tasting experience' like a fat joint might be where one really gets more of a chance to take it in over an extended period of time and revisit it repeatedly. I know some folks think concentrates bring out the flavors of the terpenes more than anything else, because it's, well, concentrated, but I just think I would want a large dose to really evaluate it. And then I'd probably be tripping wasted. Back when I worked evaluating food and personal care products I always revisited the sample when possible to focus on certain things or just be sure it is the second time what I thought it was the first. If I were to use their old 15 point intensity scale, I'd give the 'dark fruit' about a 4.0. For reference the 'expressed orange' aromatic in minute maid orange juice was agreed to be a 7.5 and the baking soda note in a regular saltine cracker is 2.0. Personally though, although I enjoy the terpene aromatics in cannabis, it could literally taste like shit and I'd still consume it (see psilocybin mushrooms  :P). The effects are what matter most to me and this strain seemed to hit me nicely in a few ways. Firstly it seems to be Indica dominant. Regardless, I generally get a bit of an energy boost right after consuming either sativa or indicas, with Indicas eventually moving me into a more sedated state of being. So I had a nice little mood boost from it, although I wouldn't say euphoria was the a hallmark of the strain. It did help a bunch though, as when I'm depressed I can have real difficulty doing life's normal/basic tasks. The head change from it really helped pick my spirits up and greatly helped me get the ball rolling on a few thing that I'd been putting off. It had an even bigger effect on general anxiety, which is another thing that gets in the way of me getting things done in life. Coupled with a  helping of depression, it can be a debilitating combination. It's  also so darn persistent though sometimes I forget I even have so much anxiety until I manage to find something to alleviate it. This strain really helped there and it was like having the proverbial weight lifted off one's chest/shoulders. That relaxing aspect I would classify as a hallmark of the strain. Effects also lasted longer for this strain than most I can remember having recently. I still was feeling effects 4 hours after dosing most of the time. It's also a gentle let down which is nice. A couple times it got me more tired than others and I think at higher doses this could be more pronounced. I guess that's great if you're looking for something to help sleep. So it would definitely qualify as a 'night capper' also. However, I did use it a few times before exercise and liked the mind/muscle connection effects. At the gym I did load the hammer strength machine unevenly once  tho  :P , that was a small drawback, lol.
      The relaxing effects helped somewhat with mild social anxiety. Although it didn't make me feel like I wanted to be more social, it also didn't make me want to be less, which some strains do for me when they really kick in. Some strains are like putting on those glasses in "They Live" and seeing the lizard people. This strain was far more chill. Another thing about the strain was it really helped me with perspective. Cannabis can really help me 'see the forest thru the trees'  and this strain was better than most at that. Really helpful in just dealing with "life's bullshit" and seeing a side of things that not only lifts my mood but overcome problems and challenges by seeing new possibilities. Kind of average on the munchies. Mild creative boost. Both pretty much on par for an average strain in those regards. Enhancements, but not in a way that make them the dominant effects. Mostly relaxing with mild euphoria and good what I'll call "perspective". All around extremely classic strain. Like mother nature intended you might say. Reminiscent of more strains that I used to smoke back in the day as opposed to nowadays where so many strains seem sativa dominant (which I love in their own way of course).
It's one of those that deserves a steady spot in the rotation. Really appreciate getting it and the vaping apparatuses in the contest.
It came at a great time.
Good luck to all yall on the tincture contest, I'll sit that one out after winning here.

Now for some Purple Music (not that one)

(I've got one more part of the review coming eventually with some numbers too)

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 05:30:28 AM »
If the enthusiasm and general awesomeness of your review isn't proof of how good that oil is, I know the next installment will have me jealous indeed!   Dang, good stuff

Reminds me of your pretty face is going to Hell on Toon network, funny, thanks
Don't Date Robots! The world is trained to ignore everything unless it comes from the church, their TV, celebrities, or the media.

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 06:43:16 AM »
Incredible review. Awesome detail. We need to get this oil for our pain. Sounds awesome

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
 :weedpass:

BOMB ASS REVIEW!

:weedspin :weedspin

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the detailed review, Ozone!

Also, wanted to note that I also sometimes feel a little less than socially outgoing while using certain strains. Glad I'm not the only one, but I do wish it was neither one of us. :) Maybe it's from past experience where I might say something stupid or insensitive when stoned, and memory/instinct is warning me off putting my foot in my mouth IDK.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:34:03 AM »
Thank you for the detailed review. One question. Did you like the magnetic cartridge interface?

tibeirious

• Starship Admiral
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
  • ex head of security cast a way..and forgotten
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »
Magnetic ? Wow.

Akitsu

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »
Now that's some damn fine reviewing.

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 12:43:26 AM »
Thank you for the detailed review. One question. Did you like the magnetic cartridge interface?

Sure thing.

Lol, What's that? The way it stays in the mod? 

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 12:45:21 AM »
Hey yall. Sorry I haven't been round, I've been in a bit of a rut and sometimes I withdraw socially.  Finally got back to exercising the last 2 days and feel much better.  That's where it really all starts for me.  Self care really is key.

Just really tired tonight, so I'll post more tomorrow.

Oooops, I mean to say..."The vaaaaape killlllddddd meeeeeeee and I'm tha goooooooost!!!!"

/Haunts thread
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:46:57 AM by Ozone »

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 12:49:16 AM »

Sure thing.

:jay:

Ozone

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 12:52:31 AM »

Sure thing.

:jay:

Gotcha.I don't have much to compare it to that isn't years old, so I thought that was standard issue now. It was nice. Less to worry about having it come loose or leak. Definitely want to get it all to the very last drop, and since I've been known to drop/spill stuff, I'll take all the help I can get. I was trying to screw it and it just kind of stuck. :P Just was happy it was working considering my level of 'expertise'. ICP had it right. "Magnets, how the fuck do they work?"  :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:54:18 AM by Ozone »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal