Author Topic: Positive drug tests for employees hit 16-year high as marijuana legalization exp  (Read 693 times)

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/worker-safety/513544-positive-drug-tests-for-employees-hit-16-year-high-as

As recreational marijuana legalization has expanded to 11 states plus the District of Columbia, positive workplace drug tests have reportedly climbed to a 16-year high.

Positive test rates rose nearly 4.5 percent for the U.S. workforce in 2019, according to one of the largest drug-testing laboratories Quest Diagnostics, which sampled 9 nine million tests last year for employers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

Positive marijuana urine tests saw the most significant climb, rising 11 percent from 2018 and climbing 29 percent since 2015.

Experts say the issue could be compounded by the coronavirus pandemic, which initial data suggested has led to a rise in substance abuse and drug-related deaths throughout the United States.

Barry Sample, Quest's senior director for science and technology, said, "There is concern about the potential impact that Covid-19 is having on depression and people's substance use patterns," adding that the rate of positive detections was already trending upwards before the pandemic started.

In addition to marijuana, positive results for drugs such as methamphetamine and cocaine have also risen over the years.

Meanwhile, more employers are starting to take a hands-off approach when it comes to testing for pot. The number of urine drug tests that included marijuana declined 3 percent in the past five years and was down 6 percent in states that have completely legalized the substance.

Dale Gieringer, California director at the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said the data reflect the increasing legality of cannabis, calling it a "good thing."

Gieringer said there is no relationship between workplace performance and positive marijuana results because tests can detect inactive metabolites in a person's sample days after usage.

"It is sort of like looking through workers' trash at the end of the weekend and seeing if there are any empty beer or wine bottles in it," he said. "It doesn't really tell you much about how well a person performed on the job."

Positive rates for more potent narcotics such as opiates fell 19 percent in 2019 from the year before and 49 percent since 2015.

Rates for heroin usage also dropped 33 percent from 2018 and halved since its peak in 2015 and 2016.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
now they need to stop punishing those on weed me thinks
Don't Date Robots! The world is trained to ignore everything unless it comes from the church, their TV, celebrities, or the media.

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Nice post orthene thank you

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
An old friend's GF is a graphic artists in Southern Cali. She was drug tested for a new job and they don't even care if they test postive for cannabis.

They are looking for use of actual drugs, not people who smoke dried flowers.

FTW :weedspin

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
I really hope that attitude spreads nationwide among employers. Last place I worked, I had to take a urine test yearly. Not because my company required it either; I had the local oil refinery as a client and had to submit a clean drug screen to them every year. Also, even though it never happened, I had to agree to random tests by their medical staff when on site. Whenever I worked on their site, I carried a bottle of synthetic urine under my fire resistant coveralls. It pretty much always maintained at 98-99 degrees. I used the synthetic urine a couple times for my yearly test; I had gotten to know the hospital staff to the point that they never made me empty my pockets and turn them inside-out like you're supposed to when leaving your sample.

Lots of employers will still test if you operate power equipment, and it seems to be a worker's comp and insurance issue.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:33:10 AM by orthene »
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

Syd

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Shaman
I really hope that attitude spreads nationwide among employers. Last place I worked, I had to take a urine test yearly. Not because my company required it either; I had the local oil refinery as a client and had to submit a clean drug screen to them every year. Also, even though it never happened, I had to agree to random tests by their medical staff when on site. Whenever I worked on their site, I carried a bottle of synthetic urine under my fire resistant coveralls. It pretty much always maintained at 98-99 degrees. I used the synthetic urine a couple times for my yearly test; I had gotten to know the hospital staff to the point that they never made me empty my pockets and turn them inside-out like you're supposed to when leaving your sample.

Lots of employers will still test if you operate power equipment, and it seems to be a worker's comp and insurance issue.

I had a last minute offer for a higher paying job, but I had to take a drug test in under a week. And I've been vaping THC cats a lot lately. If I failed, I would lose my current job as well. I heard tat synthetic urine shows up on newest tests? I guess not but  Didn't want to riskit and drank more water then a camel for a week and used every "detox" product that had good ratings on HighTimes website and Amazon, as well as asking the local headshop guy (Yeah I was getting desperate) . A home test Still came up positive the day before.  :-[

Took the test. I didn't hear anything for a few days, and was asked to take a second test, maybe the first sample got lost. Lucky me. Did a home test and the red line was barely visible this time (when means negative) so I though I had a chance.  Did the same routine for another week and used two detox drinks at the same time in double quantities and Pissed like a race horse the day of.

Didn't hear for a few days again, and feared the worst. Then I got an email  saying that passed the drug screening and got the job. Go Figure.  ;D

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
I used fake urine a couple times, and never had a problem. Had the whole fancy setup in case someone was standing behind watching, but never needed it. Same nurse at the hospital every time I tested annually and for new contracts. She was so used to me, she had quit making me turn my pockets inside out. Just assumed I was clean.

At the government center downtown, the guards watched me walk around the metal detector every month too. So much for security, and protocols lol. Just assumed I wasn't a terrorist.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX

I had a last minute offer for a higher paying job, but I had to take a drug test in under a week. And I've been vaping THC cats a lot lately. If I failed, I would lose my current job as well. I heard tat synthetic urine shows up on newest tests? I guess not but  Didn't want to riskit and drank more water then a camel for a week and used every "detox" product that had good ratings on HighTimes website and Amazon, as well as asking the local headshop guy (Yeah I was getting desperate) . A home test Still came up positive the day before.  :-[

Took the test. I didn't hear anything for a few days, and was asked to take a second test, maybe the first sample got lost. Lucky me. Did a home test and the red line was barely visible this time (when means negative) so I though I had a chance.  Did the same routine for another week and used two detox drinks at the same time in double quantities and Pissed like a race horse the day of.

Didn't hear for a few days again, and feared the worst. Then I got an email  saying that passed the drug screening and got the job. Go Figure.  ;D

Congrats!

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
 :goodpost

Great review Orthene!!

:smokebanana

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
Can confirm.  Large auto manufacturers all over have dropped drug testing because they simply can't get anyone to come work for them, period. 

Lots still do, of course...but lots DON'T now, so it is a bit of a sea change.

Basically, they're just happy to get any warm body through the door.

Sadly, this results in a high tweaker-to-crackhead ratio in the workforce, and hilarity predictably ensues.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal