Author Topic: What Is Delta-8-THC and How Is It Different from Delta-9?  (Read 817 times)

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
What Is Delta-8-THC and How Is It Different from Delta-9?
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:51:09 PM »
https://www.leafly.com/news/science-tech/what-is-delta8-thc

Cannabis is a flower that has grown naturally in the wild for thousands of years. It’s chocked full of chemical constituents–some of which are known as cannabinoids–that mesh with receptors throughout our body, eliciting a spectrum of mental and physical effects. THC or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is by far the most well-known of these cannabinoids, but certainly isn’t the only powerful chemical compound native to the cannabis flower. Delta-8-THC, one of the four most common cannabinoids, is similar to its psychoactive relative THC, but with several key differences.

What Is Delta-8-THC?
According to the National Cancer Institute, delta-8-THC can be defined as:

“An analogue of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) with antiemetic, anxiolytic, appetite-stimulating, analgesic, and neuroprotective properties. [Delta-8-THC] binds to the cannabinoid G-protein coupled receptor CB1, located in the central nervous system…This agent exhibits a lower psychotropic potency than [delta-9-THC], the primary form of THC found in cannabis.”

Delta-8-THC is chemically different from delta-9-THC by only a few atomic bonds and still offers a potent high of its own. While delta-8-THC only exists naturally in fractions of a percent, companies are finding value in concentrating esoteric cannabinoids for their unique effects and applications. Oleum Extracts, a top-tier cannabis extractor in Washington State, is currently producing an “AquaTek Delta-8 THC” distillate cartridge that demonstrates these properties.

For me, the AquaTek cartridge delivered a semi-sedative physical sensation without much whimsical mental stimulation. The distillate’s pervasive effects cascaded over my body while imbuing me with a classic “stoned” contentment. The appetite stimulation was apparent, but never fully manifested as hunger. This might be partially due to delta-8-THC’s anti-nausea qualities, however AquaTek does contain a modest amount of delta-9-THC as well.

Leafly: How is the delta-8-THC distillate made?

Oleum: This product is made by employing a thin film distillation­–fractional distillation–of locally cultivated cannabis flower and trim. The isolation of the delta-8-THC compound in this process is accomplished through variations of temperature, vacuums, and scientific equipment to convert delta-9-THC over to delta-8-THC. This allows us to purify and isolate specific cannabinoids by removing any residual solvents, impurities, and any other undesirable compounds.

This yields the most potent and refined end-product that offers the user one of the most clean, potent and unique delta-8-THC products on the legal market today. Most dried cannabis flower contains less than 1% of delta-8-THC, so getting a product that contains a substantial amount of this cannabinoid can only be done through extraction, isolation, conversion, and refinement of dried cannabis flower. Our last batch of what we call AquaTek D8 Distillate, also known in the industry as Water Clear, tested at 58% delta-8-THC, 7.9% delta-9-THC, and 0.35% CBD.

How was the distillate’s cannabinoid ratio determined?

Oleum: The cannabinoid ratios in our delta-8 products are completely determined by the ratios found in the starting material of the specific strain of cannabis we choose to process. There are no preservatives or additives present in our distillates, just raw, unadulterated oil.

“Our goal is to refine and isolate as many cannabis compounds as we can–delta-8 just caught our attention because of its novelty and potential benefits.”
In this case, we used Lost Coast OG from Virginia Co. here in Washington State. This cultivator employs an aeroponic growing process that results in a well-flushed, premium end product ideal for extraction.

By keeping our delta-8 distillations strain-specific, we are able to record data and use that information in future extractions and processing to create identical or similar cannabinoid profiles and keep products consistent for our clients and consumers.

What should consumers know about delta-8 THC?

Oleum: For one, delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol has a lower psychotropic potency than its close cousin delta-9 THC, which is the most abundant cannabis constituent found in cannabis.

Second, it is known to connect to both CB1 and CB2 receptors in our bodies. A study was conducted in 1995 by Dr. Raphael Mechoulam in conjunction with Shaare Zedek Hospital, Bikur Holim Hospital, and Hebrew University in Jerusalem. In this study, delta-8 THC was administered to eight children ranging from 3 to 13 years of age with various hematologic cancers. These children had been treated with different drugs and [chemotherapy] for eight months prior to treatment with delta-8-THC. The delta-8-THC treatments started two hours before each session of chemo and continued every six hours for 24 hours. With this treatment, vomiting was completely prevented and side-effects were reported as negligible.

With the help of science, we too hope to influence and advance the benefits of delta-8-THC as well as all other cannabis-derived compounds.

●   ●   ●

The efficacy and stability of delta-8-THC make it an extremely valuable cannabis-derived chemical compound. The distillate’s benefits and effects serve both medical and recreational consumers alike, and it illustrates the power of individual chemical constituents within cannabis. As science defines and refines the applications for cannabis’s eclectic collection of cannabinoids, we will benefit, one puff at a time.

Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

Smoke

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: What Is Delta-8-THC and How Is It Different from Delta-9?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »
Nice read orthene, thanks for the share brother

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »
Mwuahahahaha!  Thread Necro: ACTIVATE
[Elder Scrolls Magic Noises]

Looks like this D-8 is now...*checks interwebs*...fucking everywhere.

Any firsthand reports, Loungers?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Might be something else good to have in the ol' toolbox.

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:05 PM »
Mwuahahahaha!  Thread Necro: ACTIVATE
[Elder Scrolls Magic Noises]

Looks like this D-8 is now...*checks interwebs*...fucking everywhere.

Any firsthand reports, Loungers?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Might be something else good to have in the ol' toolbox.

PRC has Blackberry Kush Cannabis oil that is 1/3rd Delta 8 since the end of November. PM for details.

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »
 :goodpost :bongguy:

A very good review!

:kevsmith:

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:58:11 PM »
Great galloping ganja, Batman! 

Not only did I totally miss that little detail...

...I literally tried to post a review for this last night...

So, uh....yeah.  I'll be back with that review later this weekend...

As always, thanks for keeping me in line, fam.  Don't know what I'd do without ya!  :rollingonasslaughing:

spinalcountdown

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
  • That's what she said
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 08:30:51 PM »
I have some coming tomorrow!

Rolling Stone published an article about it this week. I have a feeling that it won't be legal for long.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:32:38 PM by spinalcountdown »

toy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
This stuff is legit my my fellow loungers. My head shop(waterbeds and stuff) sells carts , gum mies and tinctures by some company named deltiva. one of the guys that works there turn me on to a cart when I went into buy a battery. he let me hit his car a couple times because I didn't believe him.The stuff definitely gets me where I want to be without the paranoia or anxiety. I'm actually looking into buying some concentrates from a company called bulk disty.
Rite now they have  Delta 8 Hemp Distillate 98% mini 3 grm jars for 25.00 was thinking about scooping  one up just to sample it out. The reviews look really great that I've seen so far. They also sell ounces of this stuff for 95.00. I'm just a little hesitant about buying from these small companies because I'm not 100% sure if they're lab tests or 100% accurate.https://www.bulkdisty.com/
I have access to dabs where I live but this stuff right here seems a lot cheaper.
I heard another good company is 3chi https://www.3chi.com/
I'll let you guys know how the distillate is It's 98%, should be pretty decent. I went a whole week without using any Delta 9 THC. I strictly used only Delta 8 thcA cartridges. And was quite pleased loungers.You guys might want to look into this stuff. Especially if you're living in a non-legal state like me.I live really close to Michigan though so I can always drive to a Michigan  dispensarie and grab  some there.but I'd still be taking a chance I couldn't pull over on the way back home to Ohio. So are you seeing the spy from people here to be honest.

toy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »
Well I did it guys I pulled the trigger. I  just placed my first order with  Bulkdisty for three gram jar of Delta 8 Hemp Distillate Minis 98 percent. I'll chime back in and let you guys know how the effects are. Don't get me wrong I have great access to Debs I have a buddy of mine that keeps a steady supply of this stuff all the time. He's actually a supervisor where I work at. You know I was just thinking it'd be nice if they figured out how to do this years ago before the blend scene-herbal incense scene happened.To be honest with you I think those blends really brought a lot of people down. I know it did me but I have recovered I won't ever touch blends or herbal incense ever again. My wife almost left me because of that stupid shit. She told me that I definitely got my act  back together. Anyways that's a whole another story I'll have to tell you guys sometime.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by toy »

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:07 PM »
Delta-8-THC is nice. I've put a big glob of distillate onto the tip of hemp joints and had great success, vaped it in e-cig cartridges, and just eaten the distillate itself with a few big spoons of peanut butter. (D8 Distillate is already decarboxylated).

I can recommend some places that have good prices on both distillate and carts if anyone's interested, but there's a subreddit you could check out now: http://reddit.com/r/delta8. March 22 the "vape ban" is supposed to be happening, though, which would prevent people from buying vape-related anything online. Smoke/Vape shops would be the only option if that happens. Distillate won't go away anytime soon, though.

Vaping D8 hits like marijuana. Same timeline for onset and everything. Eating the distillate is the same as weed. The only difference is how psychoactive the stuff is compared to Delta9.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 10:07:14 PM »
Delta-8-THC is nice. I've put a big glob of distillate onto the tip of hemp joints and had great success, vaped it in e-cig cartridges, and just eaten the distillate itself with a few big spoons of peanut butter. (D8 Distillate is already decarboxylated).

I can recommend some places that have good prices on both distillate and carts if anyone's interested, but there's a subreddit you could check out now: http://reddit.com/r/delta8. March 22 the "vape ban" is supposed to be happening, though, which would prevent people from buying vape-related anything online. Smoke/Vape shops would be the only option if that happens. Distillate won't go away anytime soon, though.

Vaping D8 hits like marijuana. Same timeline for onset and everything. Eating the distillate is the same as weed. The only difference is how psychoactive the stuff is compared to Delta9.

D8 is a single noid that you will build tolerance to and get bored with.

There is no ban on vapes. This is an industry that employees thousands. The only proposed ban is on flavorings and juul pods.

The ban covers a number of kid-friendly flavorings, such as mint and fruit, though menthol and tobacco flavorings will remain legal.
However, the ban only applies to specific types of devices: cartridge or pre-filled pod devices, like the ones made popular by Juul.
All other devices will be left on the market

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:57:02 AM by jones »

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
This is the vape ban I was talking about, which will ban USPS from mailing anything vape-related direct to consumers:

https://vaping.org/press-release/using-covid-19-congress-bans-usps-vape-shipping/

As you can see, this has nothing to do with flavoring, but to do with anything vape-related: batteries, empty CCells, and so on.

FedEx and UPS have also confirmed that they would stop shipping, too. Only businesses (brick and mortar) would be allowed to continue to sell and receive vaping stuff, unless another seller or option arises allowing online businesses to send direct-to-consumer. They're still taking comments about this. It's supposed to take place at the end of this month.

I think the law is going to have to be clarified a lot as a lot of people are confused about this. I'm surprised you weren't aware of this, actually. Unless perhaps I glossed over or missed something else in the news? I knew about the flavor bans a while back.

As far as calling delta-8-thc just another noid, well, so is delta-9-thc, but unlike other noids these occur naturally in the cannabis plant and have a good safety profile (as far as we know so far with delta 8 ). It's just that delta-8-thc is present only in very small amounts in the plants. People will build a tolerance to anything psychoactive that they use in excess, but delta-8-thc is nearly identical in effects, effects timeline, and onset of effects depending on oral ingestion or vaping/smoking. Delta-8 just seems a lot milder and less "in your face" than delta-9.

The main reason it's getting a lot popular now is due to the way that the Farm Act of 2018 (expanded 2014 bill on legalization/regulation of hemp) is written. Since delta-8-thc is derived from hemp, and is not specifically regulated, it's sort of a loophole thing at the moment in illegal states that's easy to obtain. Due to the safety profile and strong similarity to weed it's way better than any of the older herbal smoking blends ever were. I loved the original Psyche Deli Spice blend, but I enjoy this better. I'm mainly a hemp guy these days so I don't use delta-8 all that often.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:52:41 AM by niemandgeist »
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »
An ad from a place called Kula Naturals came up on my FB feed today. They are selling "full-spectrum" gummies with Delta 8 thc. I think it's a way of getting around the law and making it legal nationwide. But, I think that makes the term full-spectrum a misnomer.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
I don't put much faith in any of the 'newly found' names/types people come up with for marijuana. I just wanna get stoned, I don't care what it's called

Back in 2010 I had just started smoking weed again after 13 years off & I was a 45 y/o old living with young adults. The guy in the master bedroom sold weed & partied every day & night & it seemed like he had a new name for whatever he was selling, everyday--

Ever live with young adults? It didn't take long for me to notice they kept looking at me weird cause everytime I went to get up I was used to making a grunting noise--apparently younger folks don't make noise when they stand up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal