Author Topic: Drug Testing Robs Workforce of Talent and Creativity  (Read 707 times)

Swishahouse6

Drug Testing Robs Workforce of Talent and Creativity
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »
Drug Testing Robs Workforce of Talent and Creativity...

In Hillary Clinton's farewell speech as Secretary of State last week, she said, "We need a new architecture for this new world, more Frank Gehry than formal Greek."

Clinton was referring to dealing with the complexities of working with NATO, the United Nations, and world powers, and used for her example the Venice, California-based architect Frank Gehry. Gehry molded a unique style of laid-back architecture that used materials like chain-link fence in the context of the urban sprawl of LA, and is now the world-class architect of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles and the forthcoming Dwight D. Eisenhower memorial.

Someone who worked with Gehry in the 1980s reported him "coming out of rooms with clouds of [marijuana] smoke behind him." It wouldn't be too surprising. Even Meghan McCain says pot smoking is everywhere in LA.

The well-entrenched drug testing industry is touting their services as the means of achieving a safe and productive workforce, even in the wake of marijuana smokers winning their rights back in Colorado and Washington.

I beg to differ.

First of all, drug testing has never been scientifically shown to be safe or effective at improving workplace safety or productivity, and studies indicate that the great majority of drug-positive workers are just as reliable as others. Medically, the consensus of expert opinion is that drug tests are an inherently unreliable indicator of drug impairment. Dr. George Lundberg of the American Medical Association has called them "Chemical McCarthyism."

Second, by pre-screening away marijuana smokers, we're weeding out (so to speak) some of our most creative and, I would argue, productive employees. If you doubt that marijuana smokers have contributed to our society, see VeryImportantPotheads.com. In the case of someone using marijuana for medical purposes, it's downright discrimination to deny them employment for using what a doctor has legally recommended under state law.

Silicon Valley, the brainchild of entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates (who both admittedly smoked pot in their youth), notoriously does not drug test its employees, knowing they'd lose much of their talent that way. Yet the region is responsible for much of California's economic productivity, in one of the few non-military industries the US has. Pot-friendly Hollywood is another shining example of an industry that exports instead of imports to the US, like most of our consumables.

It's not surprising that Clinton would mention a possible pot smoker, since quite likely she was one herself and the president she worked for certainly was. Would either have benefited from a world that imprisoned or discriminated against them for their youthful or weekend indulgences? I think not.

Henry Ford's method of sending investigators into his workers' homes to observe their drinking habits seems outrageous today, yet employers are basically doing the same thing by demanding its workers pee in a cup on Monday to find out what they did on Friday night. Is it really their business?

There is an alternative called impairment testing that has been shown to be more effective than drug testing at assuring workers' safety. But chemical tests are entrenched, in our political process, and with businesses and insurance companies. The more forward-thinking ideas are, so far, crushed under the Greek architecture of the old days.

Of Gehry, Clinton said, "Some of his work at first might appear haphazard, but in fact, it's highly intentional and sophisticated. Where once a few strong columns could hold up the weight of the world, today we need a dynamic mix of materials and structures." We also need a dynamic and varied work force, one that might even look haphazard from the outside, to meet the challenges of today's world.

Carl Sagan, one of the many productive members of society who enjoyed marijuana, said, "The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

It won't do us much good to end the injustice of marijuana prohibition if only the unemployed can exercise their right to use it. And those companies who exercise drug testing have only a piss-poor workforce.

Ellen Komp is Deputy Director of California NORML and a regular contributor to Cannabis Culture. She manages the website VeryImportantPotheads.com and blogs at Tokin Woman.

iBaked

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Rooster in my rari
Re: Drug Testing Robs Workforce of Talent and Creativity
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »
Good read. Was surprised by a few definitely.

In case you all missed it, http://veryimportantpotheads.com/ <-- Sweet

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor - 'Merika

bradnowell

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
  • What a long, strange trip it's been
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
I really dug that Sagan quote.  Had never heard it before.

R

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
I never thought MJ at work or anytime was a bad thing, as long as your job doesn't involve machinery/driving or involves endangering someone else's life.   

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
It's been a couple years since my friend's last test. No one he asks knows anything on this anymore - - -

---What jobs have been known of late to  test for spice? Retail, food service, jizz mopper etc

(side note - is it wise to still talk about SWIM etc here?)

And if you see your mom this weekend, tell her I said
Satan Satan Satan Satan

JD4550

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Shaman
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
It's been a couple years since my friend's last test. No one he asks knows anything on this anymore - - -

---What jobs have been known of late to  test for spice? Retail, food service, jizz mopper etc

(side note - is it wise to still talk about SWIM etc here?)

We don't really use SWIM here. We just talk about it straight up ;D

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »
I figure my job is using the most basic 5 panel. Known of ppl passing when on prescribed hydroco's etc they weren't even questioned about. So maybe even cheaper than 5 panel!
Last I knew only military / probation were testing for spice, in general. Hoping so
Satan Satan Satan Satan

jbmac

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
  • Don't Date Robots!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
There is a strong theory that psychedelics and pot helped the early silicon valley chip/biotech people get some of their ideas.
I find moderate blending goes very well with writing, that's why so many blazed people can post here!  Still sober, still hanging
around chat, must take time off to meditate, do chores, other than that Sundays are work on article/web site days for me, when
the sun goes down the pipe will be lit!
Don't Date Robots! The world is trained to ignore everything unless it comes from the church, their TV, celebrities, or the media.

avoca

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • Compassion, fuckwads!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
Talked a friend into fungus @ a fest this summer (wakawakawaka). For her 1st time, She's 48. She Talked allow the way through it lol but what kind did of annoying was I my 1st ride?

Firmly believe all ppl should do psychedelics at least once. I'm sure most ppls set/setting are horrendous though but hey. A festy may not be ideal but she was a trooper! Main impact for her was it wiped out her nerve pain in leg, so beautiful to c her get some relief. Kratom does her wonders too.
Satan Satan Satan Satan

the hellion

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
I figure my job is using the most basic 5 panel. Known of ppl passing when on prescribed hydroco's etc they weren't even questioned about. So maybe even cheaper than 5 panel!
Last I knew only military / probation were testing for spice, in general. Hoping so

Hydrocodone doesn't metabolize into morphine. It metabolites into hydromorphone. Five panel only looks for ones that metabolize into morphine
Abduction means the end for me, a million years of misery...

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Hydrocodone doesn't metabolize into morphine. It metabolites into hydromorphone. Five panel only looks for ones that metabolize into morphine

Good to know.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

the hellion

• TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
There's always a chance for a false positive, but it's unlikely...
Abduction means the end for me, a million years of misery...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal