Author Topic: About to make my first batch of Honey Oil  (Read 1283 times)

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
Re: About to make my first batch of Honey Oil
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Just be safe, do it outside, protect your workspace from static electricity, have a safety/escape plan and think all the time it could blow up in your face.

I don't want to have to attend your damn funeral Bro.  I don't go to relative's fnerals.

I've been thinking 'This could blow up in my face' since the moment I decided to go ahead with it.

Definitely will be done outside.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
Use a small piece 110 silk screem ziptied over the end, instead of a coffee filter. You can buy them at an art store.

I usually use a large PVC tube capped with a plastic fence post top, with a hole drilled into the top with a drill bit matching the size of the butane dispenser. Glue / epoxy the fence post top to the PVC pipe.

Use a large pyrex mixing bowl to blow the oil into.

When your done, you will place that bowl into another similar bowl with hot water in it. The bowl inside the hot water bowl will start bubbling viciously. Hold it over the hot water bowl until all the bubbles stop and the material reduces down. Once it completey stops bubbling, it is time to let it sit and cure. As it cures, you should "whip" it a couple times a day to get a nice thick consistency.

-------------------------

GREY WOLF does an super in depth, informative class showing his own method of of extraction, purging and cleaning of hash oil and other MMJ extractions. He has an amazing lab where he holds his classes:

Skunk Pharm Research LLC
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/skunk-pharm-research-classes/

------------------------

Outside still isn't 100% safe. Butane is a heavy gas, it stays low to the ground and spreads out quickly. A passing car throwing out a cigarette can ignite it, your dryer turning on in the garage, your water heater, etc.

Make sure you have excellent ventilation, and if you do start a fire, use a fire extinguisher, water will not work.

When you are done making your oil, quickly remove all used materials from your house.

If you do get raided, any proof of BHO making will get u you charged with running a drug lab. No different than making methamphetamine's.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:35:34 PM by dub »
"Your as mighty as the flower that grows the stones away"

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
You don't want to use PVC, dub. Butane strips it. You get baddies in your oil.

R

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
Rigid PVC is resistant to butane, hexane and pentane at room temperature.  If you raise the temperature of the solvents, PVC will come under some attack from alkanes.  It is less resistant to higher alkanes.

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

PVC is what everyone uses out here.

The best would be those hand made glass tubes. But they are like $99 each as opposed to .99 cents each for PVC.

Your stainless steel turkey baster works well too, you just can't fit that much at a time into it.
It would be cool to find someone making stainless steel BHO tubes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:31:33 PM by dub »

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
Yo man, check this out:

Butane Honey Oil extraction refers to the method used to extract the essential oils from cannabis, and there are multiple theories on the best way to accomplish this, as well as what material is best to use.
Perhaps the first question is why use a BHO technique to extract the resins, instead of just boiling the material in alcohol to get the greatest amount of extracted material?
The answer to that is that because butane is relatively non polar, it doesn’t extract the water solubles like chlorophyll and plant alkaloids.
Butane produces one of the cleanest extractions, albeit typically at a lower yield than polar alcohol.

Butane Honey Oil, or BHO, is the essential oil from the cannabis plant, extracted using n-Butane as a solvent. 
If it is extracted from fresh material, it is a Concrete, and if from cured material, it is an Oleoresin. 
A concrete or an oleoresin that has been winterized to remove the waxes, lipids, and fats, is known as an Absolute.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-extraction/

I would post it, but there is WAY too much info.

GREY WOLF RAWKS !!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:06:34 PM by dub »

R

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
It comes to mind you could easily do a steam distillation to recover the essential oils, or smells from cannabis, then dry the herbs and do an alkane extraction.  Afterwards, add the aromatic oil back to the alkane extraction.

That would be a really nice product.  '

Alternately, you could remove the aromas by steam distillation and when you were finished with the alkane extraction there would be no associated aroma--it would be a stealth product!

R

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
OH, who am I kidding.  You have to be someone like Dub who has access to buds in order to experiement with weed alchemy.  I want to try lots of things with weed but facts are facts--Im not goiing to have the opportunity anytime soon.

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
It comes to mind you could easily do a steam distillation to recover the essential oils, or smells from cannabis, then dry the herbs and do an alkane extraction.  Afterwards, add the aromatic oil back to the alkane extraction.
That would be a really nice product.  '
Alternately, you could remove the aromas by steam distillation and when you were finished with the alkane extraction there would be no associated aroma--it would be a stealth product!

That is actually the "new thang" to do. Ken Estes of the Grandaddy Purple Dispensary was repping that method at the High Times Cannabis Cup this past weekend.

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
I would just bluntit. Unless shake is super fine!

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »

PVC is what everyone uses out here.

The best would be those hand made glass tubes. But they are like $99 each as opposed to .99 cents each for PVC.

Your stainless steel turkey baster works well too, you just can't fit that much at a time into it.
It would be cool to find someone making stainless steel BHO tubes.

Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's healthy ;P

Buy a Large Stainless Steel thermos. Drill a hole in the cap for the nozzle of the Can.  Drill out the bottom of the thermos (or chop it with a hack saw. whatever.)

That would work.

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
I would just bluntit. Unless shake is super fine!

I hate smoking blunts. They make my lungs feel terrible.

I smoke bongs/bubblers. And vape.

The oil is to try to further minimize the amount of smoke I intake. :D

Subgenius

• TGL Veterans
  • TGL Master
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »

BUENA SURTE Spiced brother.

Watch your ventilation!!!   Be EXTREMELY careful!!!!

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
Hopefully it wont taste like some people shit and still taste butane. mixtures tho from many strains have some of the best effects! Good luck

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
Here's a dab from a small test batch I ran a couple hours ago. I'll post more pics w/details of the process when I have a chance.

open them in a new tab if you want them full size
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:33:19 PM by r2-d3 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal