Author Topic: New Security and Saftety Category  (Read 1084 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
New Security and Saftety Category
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Things are getting crazy out there in cyberspace. This new category serves to help us all be safe, and secure from Harm Reduction to ordering safely online. This is the place to go to share your thoughts and experiences to help us all be safer as a community.
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Re: New Security and Saftety Category
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
Well now that you've mentioned it I see a lot of windows on homes & most of them have rocks everywhere. I shoulda opened a glass company I can see a real future in it. Especially if the economy gets worse & I suspect it will dudes on here gettin laid off right now

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
Do you guys use Tor or a VPN when surfing these forums?? I haven't been, for the most part, because of the legality of
everything we are researching, although, I am beggining to feel like I should...

Sometimes we disclose entirely too much info on these boards..

Swishahouse6

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
Do you guys use Tor or a VPN when surfing these forums?? I haven't been, for the most part, because of the legality of
everything we are researching, although, I am beggining to feel like I should...

Sometimes we disclose entirely too much info on these boards..

You make a great point. 99% of the time I am online I am using a  VPN. 

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
I don't know how to set up a VPN? Any help through pm is appreciated..

Thanks

axa

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
You buy a subscription to a service like Private Internet Access. Private VPN's that are worth the cost have an installer program which does the work of setting up your connection for you.

If you pay for your VPN with anything other than bitcoin you will leave a paper trail leading right back to you. If you don't have bitcoin use Tor instead of a VPN.

Using Tor is easy, just download the Tor browser bundle at torproject.org and launch. Not as fast as a VPN but free.

IMHO you should never browse any forum unless you are using Tor or a VPN paid for in bitcoin; otherwise your true IP will be in the forum logs and could be used against you if the server is seized.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:58:44 PM by axa »

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
Thanks, that is what I figured... I use tor but have not been because of the legality of what us researchers are doing. At this point I guess I will be using tor from now on for all the boards they even have tor on android..

Thanks

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
I need to set up pgp, I don't know wth I'm doing... If someone could help I would appreciate.. I have agp on android but cant link my gmail or figure out how to get a key. Thanks

axa

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
I need to set up pgp, I don't know wth I'm doing... If someone could help I would appreciate.. I have agp on android but cant link my gmail or figure out how to get a key. Thanks

You would have to use the K9 Mail app as your mail client on your Android phone and configure it to handle your gmail account. K9 Mail can use APG (Android Privacy Guard) as its PGP provider. Here is a link to a how to guide: https://guardianproject.info/2010/07/09/how-to-lockdown-your-mobile-e-mail/

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Thx, I had K9 mail at one point but I still couldn't figure it out... Thanks for the link!!

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
I cant get APG/GMail and K9 to work seamless... When I try to set up Gmail with APG, it gives me an error message. I have Gmail set up with K9. Thx

axa

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
Forgot to mention, be real careful using an unencrypted cell phone for encrypted email. On an unencrypted phone your private PGP key could be extracted and used to read your email if your phone got lost. Advice on encrypting your cell phone here: http://help.unc.edu/help/encrypting-cell-phones/

Right now it's easier to secure an iPhone than an Android. Just turn full disk encryption on and use an app like Enlocked for PGP email.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:21:59 PM by axa »

tonedef

• TGL PhD
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
That's what I heard... Apple isn't obsolete yet, lol...

axa

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Not by a long shot. Much easier to secure the laptops also.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
OK so funny story, I let Hotspot Shield? upload some vpn crap on my computer. It was ripe with offers for me to spend more money with their pals & I spent much time unloading all the crap they put onto my  old toughbook computer, that was slowing it down horribly... Now to wait for the credit card bill arrives, that's when I attack their asses. Nobody gets a fraudulent charge past me, I love to keep folks who are predatory from my money.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal