Author Topic: Official: GWAR frontman Dave Brockie died of heroin overdose  (Read 1000 times)

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
Dave Brockie, the frontman for the heavy metal band GWAR, died of an accidental heroin overdose, according to the Virginia medical examiner's office.Brockie -- who went by the stage name Oderus Urungus -- was found dead in his Richmond home on March 23. He was 50.Arkuie Williams, administrator at the chief medical examiner's office, said Tuesday that Brockie's cause of death was acute heroin toxicity.The Grammy-nominated band GWAR was founded in 1984 and is known for its comically grotesque costumes, stage antics and vulgar lyrics.GWAR released its debut album, "Hell-O," in 1988. Its latest album, "Battle Maximus," came out in 2013. The group recently toured Australia and Japan.Brockie remained a constant in the band, which has had a revolving door of members. In 2011, 34-year-old lead guitarist Cory Smoot was found dead on the band's tour bus. Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/official-gwar-frontman-dave-brockie-died-of-heroin-overdose/

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
Re: Official: GWAR frontman Dave Brockie died of heroin overdose
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:05:02 AM »
I have enjoyed GWAR's music over the years. I'm sorry that Oderus Urungus is with us no more. Shame he had to go that way, but we all know that this sort of thing happens and that it can happen to anyone, even people you'd never suspect would use heroin.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

mattynugs

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:00:39 AM »
Its pretty crazy but he should of known better. Dude was a genius and definately knew how to put on a good show. I'm happy I got to see them live one last time back in november. Regardless if you didn't like the music or not you have to admit they put on one hell of a show. Opiates are fucking terrible they are responsable for so many deaths around my area. Its so fucked how our system works too they give you legal herione in a pill form then get you hooked.  Makes no sense and cannabis is illegal? ! Wtf

DC

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Master
  • Finder & Fixer of old gear
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
The major difference between Heroin and cannabis is that Heroin used to be legal, was often prescribed for anything that ails you, and is still in use to this day.

So you know big pharma has a profit to be made.

Ironic.

Fun Fact: Heroin, aka dimorphine, is still used in c-sections in the UK.

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
Opiates are killers. Glad I never got hooked on them.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

spinalcountdown

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
  • That's what she said
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
It's tragic how much talent this world has lost because of heroin.

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »
It's tragic how much talent this world has lost because of heroin.

I disagree,
   Without heroin this dude may have never conceived his best ideas. I feel like using some harder drugs are
akin to selling your soul to da devil. You may gain something you never knew you had, but keeping it isn't
always without its costs.

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
Its pretty crazy but he should of known better. Dude was a genius and definately knew how to put on a good show. I'm happy I got to see them live one last time back in november. Regardless if you didn't like the music or not you have to admit they put on one hell of a show. Opiates are fucking terrible they are responsable for so many deaths around my area. Its so fucked how our system works too they give you legal herione in a pill form then get you hooked.  Makes no sense and cannabis is illegal? ! Wtf

Sometimes very nice, brilliant and intelligent people who should know better end up making mistakes. I did. Nobody would have ever pegged me to be a drug user. I didn't smoke tobacco until I was of age. Didn't drink until I was of age apart from maybe 2 beers and 1 mixed drink when I was 20. Didn't smoke pot until I was 18. Didn't actually smoke it again or get high on it until age 19. Didn't smoke it more than a few times a year until age 24. It was at age 24 that I got into the RCs and designer stuff and went nuts. Started off with the best of intentions and went crazy. Ended up getting into all sorts of bad and embarrassing situations. Almost died once.

So you know. Even the best people who know better sometimes make poor choices.

It'll definitely be nice if one day they find a super great painkiller that isn't as destructively addictive as those powerful opiates. I'm glad they exist though for people who REALLY NEED THEM.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

DC

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Master
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
And there lies the problem. If it helps with pain, your going to want more of it. If you don't, your brain sure as shit does. Anything to stop the nonstop signals of "something isn't right!" over and over again until it gets its next fix.

And I'll bet you anything, even if they had a drug like H that got you high but didn't do shit for pain, people would still hunt it down because of that unique high.

There's a reason I've only used H once in 38 years...

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
...I feel like using some harder drugs are akin to selling your soul to da devil. You may gain something you never knew you had, but keeping it isn't
always without its costs.

Epic words, jonsey!  :clapping:

So...the big H claims Oderus.  Sad, but not altogether unsurprising.

I don't care what substances he did...I'm just glad he made this...thing that was GWAR.

#scumdog4life #gohardtilldeath

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
And there lies the problem. If it helps with pain, your going to want more of it. If you don't, your brain sure as shit does. Anything to stop the nonstop signals of "something isn't right!" over and over again until it gets its next fix.

And I'll bet you anything, even if they had a drug like H that got you high but didn't do shit for pain, people would still hunt it down because of that unique high.

There's a reason I've only used H once in 38 years...

My ex crack-whore GF was taking lots of opiates. I got her the Dr. I bought her pills & I handed them out.
I made sure I had lots of them around, oxycodone, ms contin and oxycontin. Even with all the pills I had I
never abused them. I have taken lots of them for my pain and losing the thing that helped me with my pain
just wasn't how I wanted to fly. To each their own, I don't abuse opiates. Lots of other things I have used to
excess. Just because you have drugs doesn't mean all the brains hafta fly out the window.

I never got to use H, the dealer wouldn't sell it to me cause I wanted to snort it & he said I was gonna waste it

spinalcountdown

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
  • That's what she said
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
Okay, I guess I didn't articulate my thoughts well enough.  Sure, heroin could have been the source of his creativity, as it may have been for countless other lives it has claimed. It's tragic how the life of a person who has used it as inspiration, or motivation, or therapy, can be ended by that same thing that helped develop it.

DC

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL Master
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »
Okay, I guess I didn't articulate my thoughts well enough.  Sure, heroin could have been the source of his creativity, as it may have been for countless other lives it has claimed. It's tragic how the life of a person who has used it as inspiration, or motivation, or therapy, can be ended by that same thing that helped develop it.

No, you did.
Both points are equally valid if you ask me...( then again no one did :) )

Perfect example. A guy I knew in HS had a slight learning disability. He was well liked, had friends, etc. but he was always depressed about his intelligence.

When we got our licenses, he changed. He became a new person. Getting his car was his Heroin, and man that boy could fucking drive. We used to take him to the track when we'd dyno different builds just to see him smile and let him tear up some road. He was a damned good driver, no tickets, no accidents. Just pure driver. And then one day, fast wasn't fast enough anymore. He started to scare us with the risks he'd take, the corners a little to tight and high. Break checking just before the back of school buses. The thrill took over.

He died 2 years and 3 months after we got our licenses, there wasn't anything left to bury.

Addiction can hit anyone. It can be the tool to open your cocoon, or the knife that cuts it free from the limb.

KratomToke

• Administrator
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
Well said DX_3!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal