Author Topic: For those of you who've grown your own...  (Read 569 times)

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
For those of you who've grown your own...
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
I have been doing some research since this morning (have a free day) on learning how to grow magic mushrooms. I got in contact with an old, old contact of mine. We used to be on really good terms. He owes me a favor. He's promised me that he's going to send me one or two sterile spore syringes. This would be my first time cultivating mushrooms from spores. However, I do have some know-how, as I am a very geeky person and I was super nerdy geeky about mycology from age 12 to 13. The only difficult thing to learn is the entire process for getting adequate substrate, a place to keep them in (tupperware container?), and such and such. I've only briefly looked over the process and it seems to be fairly simple.

I'm supposed to be expecting some B+ spores (heard mixed reviews on this strain) and something else that's going to be a surprise. I hear that B+ is extremely forgiving, but potency can vary greatly, and how people react to it can vary greatly. I'll probably start out with the B+ to learn the basics of cultivation. If they're bunk, oh well... I'll have practiced the method so I can try to obtain a better strain, such as Golden Teacher.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I'm obviously reading through lots of Shroomery posts and I'm going to go to the public library soon as I do recall that they used to have a book on rearing magic mushrooms there.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: For those of you who've grown your own...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
There is a good one hour movie on youtube that shows the brtek really well. Getting spores is easy. I thought about doing edible/magic mushrooms but process requires you to be extremly sterile etc. And im to impatient add for that shit. Plus there way to many contaminents that can hit during inculation and growing process for me to worry about

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
There is a good one hour movie on youtube that shows the brtek really well. Getting spores is easy. I thought about doing edible/magic mushrooms but process requires you to be extremly sterile etc. And im to impatient add for that shit. Plus there way to many contaminents that can hit during inculation and growing process for me to worry about

I have actually found several highly rated vendors within the USA. The cool thing is that, unless you are in a mere handful of states, spores are legal to procure. It's only when you make them grow into fungi that they become illegal because it is "drug manufacturing". The spores contain nothing but the potential to develop into mushrooms.

I have been reading so much, and also watching some videos on: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

I haven't searched around on Youtube just yet. I did find some valid search results on there, but I'm trying to stick to the Shroomery's recommendations before I know how to judge whether or not something I see on Youtube is valid or bunk.

It seems like, once you really understand how to do this, it's not terribly difficult. I also love non-magic mushrooms so learning how to do this with magical ones will let me grow my own culinary mushrooms. :)

Also thank you for cluing me into something else I need to look up. I don't plan on rushing this at all. I plan on reading about this for a good while until I feel that I have a very good idea of how to approach the problem of cultivation. I am getting a much better idea of how to appropriately sterilize things as well. There are several methods to go about this, however. I plan on hiding these in my closet. I can fit a fairly large tupperware container/terrarium in there so I'm not too worried. I can also put a battery-powered LED lamp or run a longer cable into the closet when it's necessary to do so. The simpler the method, the better it's going to be for me for my first time.
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
The good thing about mushrooms is the startup cost is relatively low.

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
This is why I'm going to attempt to do this... The price point is pretty low. Also, I do have a coffee grinder to help with brown rice flour. Just have to make sure it still works... I used mine to grind up a small amount of shrooms to do lemon TEK and I'm not sure if the motor burned out or if it just doesn't like grinding up really small amounts of stuff. But at K-Mart you can get a Mr. Coffee grinder for under $20. Unless I can find pre-ground brown rice flour... I'll try to grind some java beans up this week and see if it's still in operation.

Also, I can easily conceal this in my closet which helps. Or, I can conceal it in the bottom of my big trash can in my room. Just have to put some scrap wood supports so there's some room between the terrarium/container and the bag above it... Then I can just bring it out at night or when I'm home alone to vent it once or twice daily. I'm still learning a lot about the techniques I could use though so I'm not ready to do this. I also have to wait until my dude hooks me up with free spore syringes... But spores are pretty cheap to obtain which is cool, unless you live in California, I think Oregan, and I think Florida. There were only 3 states the vendors will not ship to. Crazy that you can get the spores legally so easily... Because they don't contain anything illegal until they fruit.

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »
You can get brown rice flour or rye flour at most places normally baking or specialty sections ive even seen it in walmart. To grind it yourself you will burn up the cost of 2-3 bags of flour using your own grinders.

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
I appreciate the information. My goal is to just try the standard instructions for 5 jars to start with and see how it goes. The B+ variety I'm supposed to get eventually in spore syringe are supposed to be very forgiving so I have high hopes. I also like to think I'm not a dumbass so eventually I will have 100% full faith that I can try this. I may have to slowly get all of the things I need piece by piece though so it may be a while. But patience is a virtue often well-rewarded, as they say. :)

Anyone who can chime in with any more tips or experience... feel free!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal