Poll

What's been your favorite strain that you've tried?

Penis Envy
1 (20%)
B+
1 (20%)
Golden Teacher
2 (40%)
Puerto Rican
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Favorite Strains Community Poll  (Read 1321 times)

ShroomVroom

• TGL Member
  • Vroooooom!
Favorite Strains Community Poll
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:59:22 AM »
Hey everyone, not sure if there is much interest here, but this is kinda my subject I'd like to contribute to the community here as a whole.

I've been studying Mycology steady for about 6 years now, and these seemed to be the favorite "recreational" mushrooms. What do you guys think? Any recommendations of the hundreds of other strains?

Let's share our experiences to assist others in making this complicated decision!
Caterpillar: …and the other side will make you grow shorter. Alice: The other side of what?
Caterpillar: The mushroom, of course!

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Re: Favorite Strains Community Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »
I used to be very interested in mycology as regards to recreational mushrooms, even to the point of pricing spore prints and kits. I live in an area where it is hard to even find amanitas let alone any kind of psilocybes. I took out guides from the library and stuff but was worried I would ingest something poisonous by mistake. The closest Mycological Society/Club is over an hour away from here so I feel that I would need a knowledgeable partner to join me on any shroom expeditions.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

Sparrow

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
Hey, Shroom, I, too, have dabbled in mycology for some time until I got hot 'cause I was selling P.F. tec 'shrooms to someone stupid and almost got popped. But I feel it may be time to start another batch. Unfortunately I only have experience w/ cubensis, for now.

LightEchoes

• TGL Supporter
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed fungi when it was easy to obtain.  Some of the best moments in my life came while peaking on the spores.  I haven't seen it in about 2 years or so, but one of these days when I least expect...thats how these things always work!

-Wolf

niemandgeist

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Master
  • Mushroom Muncher :)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »
Hey everyone, not sure if there is much interest here, but this is kinda my subject I'd like to contribute to the community here as a whole.

I've been studying Mycology steady for about 6 years now, and these seemed to be the favorite "recreational" mushrooms. What do you guys think? Any recommendations of the hundreds of other strains?

Let's share our experiences to assist others in making this complicated decision!

Neato! Where did you receive your MA/PHD? Or did you mean that you're casually studying mycology as a hobby? I have to ask because none of the names you've mentioned are actual strains of fungi. Also, it isn't possible to actually identify fungi properly without a very intact sample and a spore print.

I studied mycology as a side hobby for many years, but this was long before I ever got into tripping. If you have been to university for mycology I'm very interested in learning about the curriculum you went through. Also, could you please edit the choices to show actual strains of psychedelic fungi instead of these other names you have at the moment? (Tried to edit my post earlier to clarify but I think I accidentally deleted it).
I am always up for chatting online with some new and interesting people. I don't really PM too many people here much. If you see this and you're interested in chatting or are bored and such. Please hit me up. I LOVE conversation.

bradnowell

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
  • What a long, strange trip it's been
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »
To those who have never tried and would like to, or those who are fungi lovers and would like to try growing your own, check out these 2 sites if you haven't already.

http://www.shroomery.org/

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Everything you could possible need to know on those 2 sites. 

Stay safe everyone! 8D

ShroomVroom

• TGL Member
  • Vroooooom!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »

Neato! Where did you receive your MA/PHD? Or did you mean that you're casually studying mycology as a hobby? I have to ask because none of the names you've mentioned are actual strains of fungi. Also, it isn't possible to actually identify fungi properly without a very intact sample and a spore print.

I studied mycology as a side hobby for many years, but this was long before I ever got into tripping. If you have been to university for mycology I'm very interested in learning about the curriculum you went through. Also, could you please edit the choices to show actual strains of psychedelic fungi instead of these other names you have at the moment? (Tried to edit my post earlier to clarify but I think I accidentally deleted it).

The only future I've ever seen in mushrooms was tripping and eating (really truffles). I never studied to gather a degree, as I specialize in a very different career field. However, I was able to take a couple horticulture courses, mostly computer assisted environmental type projects. The courses themselves really allowed students to log and blog their projects with freedom, mostly due to hippie teachers and such. I chose to attempt computer assisted terrarium environments, whereas most all other students went with "grow rooms" for their obvious applications :P

As for the scientific strain names, you are so totally right. There is nothing scientific about those, etc. But then again, that's not how I really meant this post. I really wanted to gauge community interest in the "magical" types. I'm glad to be posting here with fellow members who are interested enough to even RECOGNIZE that fact; it really makes my day!

To Bradnowell, those two links are a wonderful introduction. I actually paid for those videos ($9 I think) just to support the author, I know he worked hard.

But no, I didn't get a masters or PhD in Mycology; where'd I go from there in this economy?!?!

I'll start gathering some links and guides for the local community; the chat rooms were blooming with interest, and I'd like to help where I can.
Caterpillar: …and the other side will make you grow shorter. Alice: The other side of what?
Caterpillar: The mushroom, of course!

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
I have only tried the B+ before so I cannot really pick a favorite strain amongst these. I'd love to try the "Penis Envy", the pictures I have seen of them look like monsters!

I personally prefer Psilocybe cyanesens and friscosa. They are more head than body, and don't seem to give me the "yawns" as much as Cubes do.

I have recently came across a two strains out here I have not seen before - New Zealand "White Angels" and "Tahoe Gold"
The "White Angles" are very long skinny stemmed, quite different looking than a typical cubensis. They are also sporeless and quite rare.
The "Tahoe Gold" are short and stubby stemmed, with large golden-orange caps, and they typically come closed capped.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:50:43 PM by dub »
"Your as mighty as the flower that grows the stones away"

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
You do know that some people will argue vehemently about the effects of the different P. cubensis strains. There are many that say they are no different from one another, since they all contain Psilocyn and Psilocybin. I have seen multiple page threads of people ripping on others for saying they effect them differently.

But myself and others can swear that each strain has particular effects different than others.  :P

R

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
The levels of actives are not really strain releated, but among species how the mushrooms are grown as well as the climate and the medium they are growing on can affect the potency of the mushrooms, as well as the care takes to preserve them after picking.  Smaller mushrooms tend to have slightly more actives per weight than mature mushrooms, but they obviously weigh less--it is a toss up but the younger ones are more tender.   P. cyanesens and cubensis both do the job quite well if picked fresh, handled gently and dried gently with a lot of air flow.  Many other mushroons contain the actives you are looking for including non-Psilocybe mushrooms. 

When picking wild you should always look for species that are easy to ID and always go with an expert at first.  Books just don't cuff it.  It helps to live in the pacific northwest or the tropics for Psilocybe spp.  Growing your own isn't difficult if you can find sterile spore prints but you need a big pressure cooker and some devotion to procedure.  Oven or microwave sterilization isn't as good as an autoclave.  A spare refrigerator is nice and some canning jars are useful. 

For the record,
Species    % psilocybin
P. azurescens   1.78
P. serbica   1.34
P. semilanceata   0.98
P. baeocystis   0.85
P. cyanescens   0.85
P. tampanensis   0.68
P. cubensis   0.63
P. weilii                 0.61
P. hoogshagenii   0.60
P. stuntzii   0.36
P. cyanofibrillosa   0.21
P. liniformans   0.16

The active ingredients are easily extracted with water or methanol.  Boiling water is close to the temperature that will destroy the actives so warm water is fine for tea, but with methanol you can do an extraction and concentrate the actives. 

Taz

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
Nice topic. Has been years since I partaked but would love to revisit soon. Always one of my favorite and since I was from a cow town.......

Its on my bucket list anyway I would love to do some research both ways.

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
Sorry Ngls, what i meant was that people have argued about the different in particular strains of Psilocybe cubensis. Such as "B+" compared to "Cambodian"

Both are P. cubensis. Both have the same ingredients. Some people argue there is no difference in effects between P. cubensis strains, that they are all closely related and strain difference amongst mushrooms  is nothing lke cultivated cannabis strain differences.

I however would say there is a difference in feeling between a "B+" compared to "Cambodian" strain of P. cubensis

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal