Author Topic: Texas CBD, vape shops take legal action after delta-8 THC deemed illegal by stat  (Read 577 times)

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/10/22/texas-cbd-vape-shops-take-legal-action-after-delta-8-thc-deemed-illegal-by-state/

Texas CBD and vape shops are searching for answers, and some have filed temporary restraining orders against the state after they say health officials abruptly announced last week that they had added delta-8 THC products to their list of Schedule I controlled substances.

Delta-8 is a less-potent alternative to the delta-9 product known as marijuana, though it produces similar effects.

Official state documents show that for months, the Department of State Health Services has considered the product illegal.

But Ashley Flood, who owns a CBD American Shaman franchise location in Allen, and other shop owners and consumers say they were never informed of the decision that Commissioner John Hellerstedt announced more than a year ago or the move to update the state’s website.

“We didn’t find out from the state, we didn’t find out from law enforcement, we didn’t find out via letter, email — nothing. We found out from one of our suppliers,” she said after finding out about the change to the DSHS website.

Heather Fazio, director of Texans for Responsible Marijuana, said that despite the confusion, she will consider delta-8 products illegal because that’s the opinion of the state health officials who were given the authority to maintain the substance schedule.

“It’s clear people didn’t know about this happening,” she said. “It goes to show that when DSHS wants to inform the public, they know how to do it. They also evidently know how to be sneaky when they want to.”

Flood said law enforcement hasn’t come knocking at the doors of her shop — at least not to tell her to stop selling delta-8.

“We’ve talked to several customers who are in law enforcement — apparently, we’re nowhere on the agenda,” she said. “They were just as unaware as everybody else.”

2018 Farm Bill
Many sellers and consumers of delta-8 THC products are unsure what to believe or do.

Some of the confusion stems from the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized the product federally. But it allows individual states to write more stringent laws and diverge from the federal controlled substance schedule.

In the case of delta-8, Hellerstedt rejected the Drug Enforcement Agency’s modification that legalized all hemp products — including delta-8 — in September 2020.

The state held a public hearing weeks later, in October, and no residents commented or wrote concerns. Hellerstedt signed the official order in November and filed it with the Texas Register on Jan. 20.

Aside from the public notice, the decision was never broadly announced to the public, and more than 2,000 CBD licensees eligible to sell the product were not notified. A notice at the top of the Consumable Hemp Program page on the health department’s website now states that “delta-8 in any concentration” is illegal.

Confusing legislation
Some delta-8 sellers, such as Chris Fagan of Bee Hippy hemp dispensary in Garland, still believe it is legal because there is a “gray area” under a law that Gov. Greg Abbott signed in 2019 legalizing hemp products with less than 0.3 percent tetrahydrocannabinol.

“We’re not losing sleep over it because we know the law hasn’t changed,” Fagan said.

The law does not mention delta-8 products, which weren’t widely known when it passed.

Texas Hemp Growers President Zachary Maxwell said, although it isn’t mentioned in the state bill, that he believes regulatory authorities would recognize that Texas lawmakers didn’t intend to legalize the product when the bill was filed. In fact, they tried to ban the products during this year’s legislative session but abandoned the effort when Stephen Pahl, an associate health commissioner, informed them that Hellerstedt had already deemed it illegal.

Fagan, who opened his Garland store in late June, believes the only justification that should be considered is the bill’s text.

“To me, the matter of intention doesn’t matter,” Fagan said. “It’s already been federally legalized, so we need to be at least in compliance with what’s federally happening.”

The bill author, Rep. Tracy King, D-Batesville, did not respond to requests for comment.

Fazio, who advocates for responsible marijuana use, said the contradicting texts have caused confusion for many.

“It’s not abundantly clear [in the legislation],” she said. “But it’s the opinion of the state of Texas that these products are illegal.”

Moving forward
Artistic Organics CBD Wellness, a dispensary in Frisco, said Wednesday in an email to customers that they were in limbo but to stay calm.

“We do not want our customers to panic, but we do not know the outcome and implications of this change,” the email said. “We are currently reviewing this and will keep everyone updated.”

Flood said she’s purchased $20,000 worth of delta-8 products for her CBD American Shaman store, which account for 50-60 percent of her profit. If they’re illegal, her Allen franchise won’t come out unscathed.

“As far as the business goes, it’s going to be a hit,” she said.

But Flood’s chief concern isn’t staying afloat. She worries for her customers who consume delta-8 for medical reasons or as an alternative for a previous substance-use problem.

“There’s a lot of people that stopped taking other really bad things [or] medications for this because it was working for them,” Flood said.

“That’s a big concern.”
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

jones

• Global Moderator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Oh my, when did a State get their own drug schedule, I thought that was a power reserved for the Feds

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
So, a couple of things here - 1. Texas DSHS has absolutely no law making capability, so they can think whatever they want but they have no enforcement mechanism. 2. When did a state get their own drug schedule? You should probably do some checking around because pretty much every state has their own drug schedule and they have for many years, lol. That's why kratom can be schedule 1 in some states and perfectly legal in others.

This is a weird situation in Texas though because a state senator specifically tried to unilaterally make Delta 8 illegal in Texas in the last legislative session, and he basically got his ass kicked and the offending verbiage was removed from the bill in question. What protects D8 for now is that it is hemp derived and complies with the rules in the farm bill that made producing and selling hemp legal. There's also an organization in Texas called Hometown Hero that has already filed for an injunction against DSHS, and they intend to pursue a lawsuit to get clarity on the subject. We shall see.

orthene

• Administrator
  • TGL XxSpaceLordxX
Texas just seems like the black sheep(?) of the states, with all that talk of seceeding from the union, and having their own power grid and such. The whole state seems to have a "Don't tell me what to do/you're not the boss of me" attitude -and I have extended family down there. I love the time I spent in Texas; they are pretty strict when it comes to expanding your consciousness though.
Sail and grow
Deep inside
The brave align
Green we stay

-Boss Keloid Lung Valley

BurnMan

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
So, a couple of things here - 1. Texas DSHS has absolutely no law making capability, so they can think whatever they want but they have no enforcement mechanism

New York did the same thing, then they went further. Now they are backing off and saying D8 made from Hemp is fine but not synthesized by CBD isolate, which makes it an RC Noid according to these geniuses.

Antiquated laws before any of this CRC , Closed loop, and Digital Tomography technology was used in the cannabis industry.

These gray old politicians don't and never will understand, yet they are knee jerk operating on their feelings and banning everything except sliced bread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:30:05 PM by BurnMan »

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
So, a couple of things here - 1. Texas DSHS has absolutely no law making capability, so they can think whatever they want but they have no enforcement mechanism

New York did the same thing, then they went further. Now they are backing off and saying D8 made from Hemp is fine but not synthesized by CBD isolate, which makes it an RC Noid according to these geniuses.

Antiquated laws before any of this CRC , Closed loop, and Digital Tomography technology was used in the cannabis industry.

These gray old politicians don't and never will understand, yet they are knee jerk operating on their feelings and banning everything except sliced bread.

Yeah, that is pretty damn stupid. They clearly aren't understanding how D8 is made. I'm definitely getting more and more tired of this shit. Land of the free my ass!

3V1L9371U5

• TGL OverLord
  • TGL XxElitexX
Now they are backing off and saying D8 made from Hemp is fine but not synthesized by CBD isolate...

Can confirm, appears to be same in my state.  *So long as it's made from in-state hemp:

Chemistry be damned!  :nannah:

They seem to be leaving the higher profile CBD stores, etc. alone, but are selectively "enforcing" when they want to fuck with a given business entity (dubiously distributed gas stations, for example).   

Kind of a mixed bag, I guess.  I might imagine a lot of those products are the modern equivalent of 'bath tub blends', and will not be missed.  At the same time...I might also imagine that a lot of the products in the other stores are little better when it comes right down to it.
I'll prefer to just stick with my PRC, thank you very much!  :bakedmonkey:

Uruk-High

• TGL Elite
  • TGL XxElitexX
Kind of a mixed bag, I guess.  I might imagine a lot of those products are the modern equivalent of 'bath tub blends', and will not be missed.  At the same time...I might also imagine that a lot of the products in the other stores are little better when it comes right down to it.

Yep, there's a ton of sketchy crap around, especially in gas stations. Just like the blend days. And they're selling the packaging for the sketch brands to anyone, just like the blend days, lol.

That being said, there are also quite a few legit vendors out there that I buy bulk disty from. I don't buy any packaged products in this space cause it's way to easy and cost effective to make stuff myself. Good times! :Smokey:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal