Author Topic: Being Laid Off Sucks  (Read 2801 times)

walterwhite

Being Laid Off Sucks
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »
Company that I used to work for has been downsizing the last few months, and it finally hit me - got the notice telling me I was laid off on Friday.  They merged with another company recently and things have been terrible so I saw something like this coming.

I was one of the last hired a year and a half ago so we are the ones that are first to go.  Got the bad news on Friday.

It sucks looking for a new job, a lot of spam or just terrible job listings....  Thought Obama was going to get more jobs going but I don't see that going on.

Just venting here, things are going rough last few weeks.  Car hit deer banged it up bad a month ago, still in shop, my dogs been sick losing her sight and now this?  Great.

Going to bed for a long while, I need some rest.

Sorry for venting, just stressed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:24:18 AM by walterwhite »

toy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
Re: Being Laid Off Sucks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
ya they say when it rains it poors . Dont worry things will get better .

walterwhite

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »
Thanks Wizard.  Glad someone understands where I am coming from.

creep26

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:48 AM »
I know the feeling man.  I was laid off last April... Similar situation, whereas my employer was bought out by another group.  An international group.  Even though I had 7 years under my belt, I was the low man on the totem pole in my department.  Haven't been able to find a job so I have been daddy daycare for my 2 little girls.  It's awesome to spend all this time with them, but it has been a mind f&%k for me to not be able to be a provider for my family.  Hang in there man.  You will get back on your feet.  I have something lined up rg through networking with my friends.  Now the next challenge is finding someone to watch my 2 little girls.  Childcare in NY is expensive.  My wife and I aren't real crazy about bringing kids to daycare, would rather find someone to watch kids at our place, but so far can't find anyone.  Hate thinking about this nonsense... Time to get spiced!  That makes things better for a little bit!

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:58 AM »
I got some positive spin for you all.

LAID OFF. That means UNEMPLOYMENT.

Small vacation with bill money free (don't be dumb and waste it) until you find something better.

I know it sucks, but try to enjoy the time off while you can. Life is too busy.
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

R

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
jobs are scarce out there and they are getting harder to find, that is the fact.  My advice is use this time, right now, to aggressively look for another job.  Employers value the people that charge out of the gate in a situation like this, they like the ones who know what they want and go get it.  Also, take anything you can and just get back into the work force.  Don't get sucked into the unemployment doldrums, that is a mire you might never get out of--don't live off the government teat any longer than you have to.   

Life throws these things at you all the time--that really is the nature of life, it is supposed to be hard.  Get tough, get your mind around it and get going.  You will probably have to change directions but keep moving forward.  You never know where your life will go but if you stay focused, even in a new direction, maybe this adversity will be the best thing that could have happened.  I know it is hard, but just grit your teeth and get the job done man.

FloatingHeads

• TGL Elite
  • TGL Shaman
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about that Walt.  I've been in that position before and know damn well what you're going through.  Ngls is right, aggressively search and continue to contact potential employers after filling out an app.  Stay positive and Good luck!     

FSU

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
Been there with an auto manuf mold injection company who was going bankrupt n got bought out by another company, lot of people got laid off n quit, I got laid off and they told me i could get unemployment so I would try if I was you. Steady couple hundred bucks until you can find something again!

R

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »
Wow.  That is really nice of you Hatter!

Spark101

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
Major props to ya hatter, very nice of ya...I give Hatter 10/10..

walterwhite

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
Appreciate all the well wishes guys, I really do.

@ngls - Ya I'm trying to get back into the work force as quick as possible, pretty much up for anything right now with bills soon piling up, rent, food etc. 

@SQ - Jobs around here are limited right now, it's really competitive where I am at near DC, I mean really competitive.

Thanks for the nice words as well creep and floatingheads.

Glad some of you can relate to being lad off cause it really sucks, makes you mad depressed.

Appreciate you doing that Pebz, anything to take my mind off things for a few minutes is okay right now.

@ Hatter - Thanks for kind words and generous offer, what an awesome vendor, glad we have guys like him around here.  I sure would take something to ease the pain but if it's too much trouble don't worry about sending that.  I def appreciate it, didn't expect many responses I am really surprised and happy.

Brightended up a dark day for me, starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  Sending out resumes now.

FSU

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Master
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Seems you're stressing over bills n food but have you tried to file unemployment yet/ I think I was getting like 300 every week or some shit...granted it was yeasr ago so cant remember but i do remember it was like a good bit every week or every other week not sure and then you get that back pay on ur first check n its a few hundred n you could pay on some bills n food...Hell apply for food stamps if u got to, gotta do what u gotta do on these hard times, its shit everywhere!  No shame in surviving homie, w or without gov assistance!

walterwhite

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
i still have both ur addy's. i will use them again Tuesday.
i got laid off on my birthday less than a week before this past christmas, fought till jan 11th to get my job back. best birthday, christmas, new years ever. NOT.lol

I am sending you both something like i said. will ship tuesday with all other samples. yea, yall get another round.

Thanks buddy, very nice of you my man.

walterwhite

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
Seems you're stressing over bills n food but have you tried to file unemployment yet/ I think I was getting like 300 every week or some shit...granted it was yeasr ago so cant remember but i do remember it was like a good bit every week or every other week not sure and then you get that back pay on ur first check n its a few hundred n you could pay on some bills n food...Hell apply for food stamps if u got to, gotta do what u gotta do on these hard times, its shit everywhere!  No shame in surviving homie, w or without gov assistance!

Nah, no unemployment man, I just lost it on Friday, haven't thought about that, just trying to find a new place of employment.  I have some savings saved up that should last me a few months if I still can't find work, but it's going to be hella tight, going to be eating TV dinners prob nightly, might be on the ramen noodle diet, like my college days! 

Thanks for the suggestions though FSU, nice thoughts...

GrindCandy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal