Author Topic: Decarboxylate or Go Home  (Read 704 times)

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
Decarboxylate or Go Home
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »
Decarboxylation or (decarb) is the process of creating a heat based chemical change to turn the inactive THC-a to the psychoactive D9-THC. Normally, this happens during combustion in a pipe, or during vaporization in a vape. But it won't happen in your digestion, so we have to do a little extra work to give our edibles a kick!

Take the bud you're going to use, and wrap it loosely in tin foil. Bake it in your oven at 220F for 20 minutes. It's important that your oven doesn't get above 230F, or you might start vaporization. Ta-da! You've decarbed your cannabis and it's ready to be cooked with!
It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

Forest

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
Re: Decarboxylate or Go Home
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
more awesomely is that decarbed will also get you higher smoked (more/all of THC-a) of the chemical already converted the 9-tetrahydrocannabinol) can just be eaten as is.
"Too Weird to Live Too Rare to Die"

D3Dman

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
  • May your pipe always be full.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
Depends how you are using it. If you are making oil or butter, this process occurs during the 'frying' phase.

There is only one method I know of where pre-decarboxylating is useful. It's my own patented(LOL) "R2-D3 No Heat Edible Oil".

Parts Needed: Ninja Blender or knockoff. Like a hybrid between a blender and a coffee grinder.

1. Decarboxylate your herb. (I suggest 200 degrees for 20 min)
2. Place herb into ninja blender with enough Grape Seed Oil to cover all of the trim.
3. Blend for 10-30 seconds once every couple days for 30 days. Keep the blending cup closed tight during the entire process. You don't want to open it and expose it to extra air.
4. Open and filter oil through a fine metal screen like a tea strainer. Apply pressure with a spoon to squeeze out as much oil as possible from the base material.

Use this oil for anything. Salads, pastas, cooking, etc. Grape seed oil can be eaten raw like olive oil (and is actually healthier due to a more balanced omega profile), but also has a VERY high burn point (higher than vegetable oil) so it can be used to bake or fry.

This is my favorite edible oil method. I've been doing this since I figured it out. I've shared this recipe with a few other members here who agree.

ENJOY, all!  :weedspin
"You can't buy happiness... but you can buy weed, which is pretty close."

Galaxy Admin

• Administrator
  • TGL Ethnobotanist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
Excellent Post dude.

It feels good to be running from the devil
Another breath and I'm up another level
It feels good to be up above the clouds
It feels good for the first time in a long time now

Sparrow

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
I did not know that. I haven't cooked with cannabis 'cause I wasn't sure how. Live and learn. This is a great thread, thanks. :weedspin

djpinito

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL Shaman
    • Silly 4 Me
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
I save the vape bud from my Magic Flight Launch Box, its already decarboxlated. So I just add to fatty peanut butter and put on crackers. Bam you got some firecrackers.
For some funny shit, visit and like
https://www.facebook.com/silly4me/videos

Forest

• TGL Elite
  • TGL PhD
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:42:52 AM »
I save the vape bud from my Magic Flight Launch Box, its already decarboxlated. So I just add to fatty peanut butter and put on crackers. Bam you got some firecrackers.

interesting way to stream line it bro ^-^
"Too Weird to Live Too Rare to Die"

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:43:42 AM »
Take the bud you're going to use, and wrap it loosely in tin foil. Bake it in your oven at 220F for 20 minutes. It's important that your oven doesn't get above 230F, or you might start vaporization. Ta-da! You've decarbed your cannabis and it's ready to be cooked with!

I use a pyrex dish or baking pan and cover it with aluminum foil.

Let the weed in the aluminum foil sit until it is room temperature before uncovering it, it will keep a lot more of the cannabinoids in the herb, as opposed to having a lot of the stuff dissipate into the air when opening.

Good thread.
"Your as mighty as the flower that grows the stones away"

R

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »
This is only necesary if you are gonna do a toss and wash with fresh herbs.  Brownie/cookie/cake "baking" temps will take care of this just fine.

dub

• TGL Master
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »
Basically, what we are doing is we remove a carboxyl (-COOH) group from a molecule.
Specifically, we are removing the carboxl group from the THC Acid (and CBD acid), by heating, to give pure THC and CBD.

A very simple chemical reaction yields a very tangible result.
"Your as mighty as the flower that grows the stones away"

Swishahouse6

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »
Depends how you are using it. If you are making oil or butter, this process occurs during the 'frying' phase.

There is only one method I know of where pre-decarboxylating is useful. It's my own patented(LOL) "R2-D3 No Heat Edible Oil".

Parts Needed: Ninja Blender or knockoff. Like a hybrid between a blender and a coffee grinder.

1. Decarboxylate your herb. (I suggest 200 degrees for 20 min)
2. Place herb into ninja blender with enough Grape Seed Oil to cover all of the trim.
3. Blend for 10-30 seconds once every couple days for 30 days. Keep the blending cup closed tight during the entire process. You don't want to open it and expose it to extra air.
4. Open and filter oil through a fine metal screen like a tea strainer. Apply pressure with a spoon to squeeze out as much oil as possible from the base material.

Use this oil for anything. Salads, pastas, cooking, etc. Grape seed oil can be eaten raw like olive oil (and is actually healthier due to a more balanced omega profile), but also has a VERY high burn point (higher than vegetable oil) so it can be used to bake or fry.

This is my favorite edible oil method. I've been doing this since I figured it out. I've shared this recipe with a few other members here who agree.

ENJOY, all!  :weedspin

R2-D3 turned me onto this over a year ago. It works very, very well.  I use the oil for everything like he stated. Salads, cooking, frying, cookies, brownies, butter, the possibilities are endless really.

toy

• TGL Legacy Member
  • TGL XxElitexX
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
wow Ive learned so much in this thread good good info thanks guys

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal